1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 Chevy Voltage Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWER STROKE 1, Dec 26, 2004.

POWER STROKE 1 Junior Member

Hello Everyone , Im new here but in need of help?!! I just installed used front and rear blades on my 89 chevy, My guy plowed the other night and after the first lot the truck died. So I put 105 amp alt. and new battery in. I used this truck today for driveways and every time I hit one of the plows the alt gauge drops to 9 or almost orange area Do I need dual batteries? Oh I have to pumps mounted in a tool box in the bed 1 for front blade 1 for rear it does seem like the rear takes a little more power. Or after reading other posts do I need to up size my alt. cabling? Thanks so much in advance
  2. mossballs

mossballs Member
    from MN

I had about the same thing happen on my truck. I just put a 1200 amp battery in my truck. i also run a tommie lift and a electric salt/sand spreader. My plow is a 10 foot Blizzard. As soon as I turn the plow it would drop my volt meter right into the red. It even dropped into the red when I used my electric windows. Turns out I had a short.
  3. mreamer

mreamer Member

Roughly how far are the batteries/alternators from the pumps? What size wire are you using? Also, where are you grounding the pumps? Just need a little more info before making a recommendation. Thanks

POWER STROKE 1 Junior Member

The pump are mouted in a plastic box behind my tool box just so i can take them out in summer the pumps are grounded from pump to pump then to battery....with cable about as big as your pincky im looking for the slip trucks at the shop......I also was thinking maybe not a good ground. I hate electrical give any thing else and I would be fine