1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 chevy suburban diesel - need advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rodnbow1, Jan 3, 2002.

1. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

I have the opportunity to buy an 89 diesel 4x4 surban - any pro's or cons would be appreciated. It has 75000 - auto - loaded to the gills with fluff - guy wants 7500 or best offer
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Sounds solid. I'd check it out like any other vehicle you're thinking about buying. Condition of fluids, maintenance records, signs of a wreck, all that good stuff. Also check the price with a couple blue book places, I like kelly blue book, and edmunds.com also. I think that would be a 700r4 transmission, 10 bolt front and rear axles, and a NP241 transfer case. All good common parts, except I believe the passenger side shaft 241 is hard to find. Still sounds like a good buy to me. I loved my 6.2, and Suburbans are solid. Good luck.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Cracked heads are the most common problem with that engine. But with only 75K on the clock, if it runs and starts easily, it should be ok.
  4. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I drove 50 miles to see this vehicle and the owner said it was leaking antifreeze and needed a special freeze plug put in which his mechanic had to order. I did not see the burb and told the owner if he wants to sell it, drive it up to me 50 miles. I suppose I wss lucky.