1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 chevy short bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Jul 12, 2004.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

I am buying a 89 Chevy shortbed with the 305 tbi and 5-speed manual tranny. Does anybody have any info about the truck reliability, quirks, etc. I test drove the truck last week and the engine appears to be alot stronger than my current 250cid. I did notice that the speedometer ( which is a rising bar instead of the pointer) appears to hang up. But the truck cost 1k and my hope is to have a street toy. Thanks for any input.

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

"street toy" If it is 4wd the ball joint's were notoriously weak, and the 5 spd won't take much abuse (2 or 4wd). Speedos in the '89's suck (but not as much as the '88's).

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Not sure why you say the 5 speed won't take abuse... my friend has an '88 with 350/5 speed 2wd that does heavy towing (tractors and farm equipment) and often bounces thru fields etc. Always driven by rough employees and an even more rough father ;)

The truck has something ridiculous like 600 000kms and has never ever had the tranny apart before.

Agreed, though, the speedo sucks.