1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 chevy rear brakes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wiseguy479, Jan 9, 2010.

1. wiseguy479

wiseguy479 Junior Member

I have a 89 chevy silverado i have rebuilt most of the brake system.But the rear brakes dont seems to work at all. Somebody said to adjust them up but there is no place to adjust them. Now what?affordableservi@aol.com

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You may need to knock out the holes to get to the adjusters. They are at the bottom of the backing plate. About a quarter inch high, inch wide. There are two.

3. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

You should be able to adjust them most of the way before you put the drums on and do the finishing touch through the knockouts. If that doesn't work I would bleed the rears again.

4. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Drum brakes suck. I hate doing them.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Adjusters are accessable through rubber knockouts on the back of the drum. A screw driver or brake spoon can adjust them but you can also adjust them by driving in reverse for a few and hitting the brakes.

I advise taking the drum off and doing a once or twice over everything though.

6. wiseguy479

wiseguy479 Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys i removed the rubber nock out and adjusted them up they work good. wiseguy479