1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 chevy 2500 front end clunk

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Nov 2, 2011.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

I have been having this weird clunk in my front end that a can't figure out. The only thing I have replaced were front rotors and the idler ARM. It just started and I can't figure it out. It only happens when I turn the wheels Sharp both ways. I know I need shocks but that more of a higher pitched sound, this is more deep and solid. Any ideas?

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

We had a 90 3/4 and we had a clunk whenever we went over a bump. Turned out to be the ball joints. We checked them when we first heard the clunk but they looked fine. When we did finally take them off they had almost beaten themselves apart. The lower ball joints where fine. Just the upper ones were bad.

3. kmkalf

kmkalf Junior Member

jack the truck up and with the wheel full lock left and full lock right spin the tires. If you feel binding in a certain spot it will be that cv shaft (joint is going on it) or hold the wheel with it in the air at 12 and 6 and rock it in and out- if there is movement or clunk may be a ball joint or wheel bearing. cking at 3 and 9 it will probably be your steering (ie tie rod, pitman, idler arms)

4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

kmkalf now a chevy dont you have to jack it up from the lower control arm? to releive the tbar pressure?

5. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Jacking under the LCA doesn't relieve the t-bar. To do that you have to jack the frame so the LCA hangs free. To do the tests kmkalf is suggesting, jacking under the LCA would be the right place.

6. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

Mine just did this. took it to the shop and my bearing was bad replaced it and now its perfect and rides great!

7. kmkalf

kmkalf Junior Member

by doing it the way i suggested you check the whole front end out and that is probably where your noise is coming from- whatever you do DO NOT take the bolt out for the torsion bars without the proper tool- there is a tremendous amount of force behind that

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

thanks for clarifying that mark i wasnt sure im not up to date on all this fancy new torsion bar technogolgy

9. the new boss 92

im going to look at it today and see, kinda sounding like ball joints as it will do it all the time or only when it feels like it.

10. the new boss 92

I have found the idlers ARM let loose again and a bad cv causing the clunk thanks guys gotta get her fixed soon