1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 5.7 water gusher

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tar, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tar

tar Junior Member

hey guys, first post, usually just learning here but heres my problem:
    this summer i rebuilt the top end on my 89 silverado 2500 4x4: rebuilt heads, timing chain,
    cam shaft, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, put it back together and the water level was going up and down and would gush out of the radiator and the heater core gurgled and made noise i filled it as full as i could and ran for a couple of cold to warm ups and checked the water in the radiator after the heat soak and it would pull water from the over flow to keep the radiator full, i thought, so the noise in the core went away so i thought things were good. Now 30 days ago my heat went cold and temp gauge pegged so i pulled the heads and had them press checked came back all good. I found No. 6 cyl. wall had a crack in it. Bought a new gm short block reassembled with my heads started it up and same thing, since then ive done cyl. press. check, no bubbles, leak cyl test with the blue dye, 3 new stats, water pump, radiator, heater core, intake man, had a different head done because when i pull No. 4&6 plug wires off the radiator calms down, done intake man gaskets again today and same thing. any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

So you've put air pressure into the cylinders and watched for bubbles in the coolant and used a "block tester" coolant dye to see if anything turns up..? I know you've checked everything but to me it sounds like a head or gasket issue right off the bat.. I'd maybe suggest making sure your water pump is the correct one, as in make sure its the correct rotation as some vehicles use reverse rotation pumps and it may not be known... Also have you just tried running without a thermostat completely to see what happens?
  3. tar

tar Junior Member

thanks spitz, i had the same prob with my original water pump and i checked for reverse rotation and that comes in later years, dont remember which though. with no stat it wont build pressure or get hot enough to do it as it only gets to about 120 degrees. going to drill a 1/8 hole in stat before i go to work today and try this, it does sound like a gasket or head issue.