1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 3500 crewcab 4x4 duelie - meyers 8.5' plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OverkillBronco2, Jan 7, 2006.

1. OverkillBronco2

OverkillBronco2 Junior Member
    from oregon

Hello!
    Im new to this board, have been reading posts for a week now. I live in the boonies, in a kind of development area. All of the houses here are 1 acre min. most are 5-10 acres. Our neighborhood is all gravel.
    My husband is convinced that he wants to buy a plow truck.. to do the roads here, and make a bit of money doing some neighbors drives.
    We have an 88 bronco 2 4x4 that we could put a snow bear plow on.. but then he saw an ad for a 89 chevy 3500 crewcab 4x4 duelie with a service bed and a meyers plow. The dealership wants 4,000.00 for the truck.. the pump was just redone, and the truck has 6 brand new tires on it. its a 350 with a standard 4 speed.
    The man at snow bear made me a deal of plow + reciever + shipping on the snow bear flex blade for my bronco for 1670.00.
    I may have the dealership talked down to 3500.00 for the truck..

What do y'all think? Should I let him get the truck... or would it be better to get the plow for my bronco? My Bronco is our main transportation.. must have 4x4 where we live.

Nearest town is 9 miles away.. 2 very small stores and pop. 250 max. Next nearest town has 10-15 businesses, and pop of maybe 1500. and its 17 miles away. Nearest city is 45 miles away over a mountian.

He would like to just try things this year.. neighbors etc. and maybe turn it into a business next year?
    TIA

Jen

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Jen and Husband, welcome to Plowsite!

Do you get a lot of DEEP snow?

Is your Bronco II in good shape?

I would think you could find a nice mid to late '90's truck with a plow for the price of that Dually. Dually's, unless you need the hauling capacity aren't ideal for plowing.

I'd suggest either looking for a mid to late '90's 3/4 ton pickup with or w/o plow or maybe a better plow for your Bronco.

Plowing un-paved surfaces is tough on equipment.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The crewcab dually would need way to much room to turn around and use in small areas! I think it would severly limit what you are able to plow and use it for!

If you were doing open areas only it could work!

4. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

hell i'd say if you could get both, that'd be great....$5100 total for a new truck and a bronco II...you'dhave a great force...the bronco would be a great driveway rig and the 3500 would be great to do roads with... and if the bronco is your main mode of trans...you could always plan it so the bronco is always available....just my $.02

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would definitely go for the Chevy. That truck is built for severe service, and the Bronco II is a very light duty truck. And that seems like a really good price for that truck. A snowbear would probably be fine for a handful of paved driveways, but it sounds like you may be asking too much of it, and too much of a little SUV. Bronco IIs arent known for their power, I think if you start plowing it hard you're only going to wear it out. I was a little leery of plowing driveways with a dually, because everyone says it can't be done, but I have found it to be a piece of cake. It takes a little more skill, but I havent found anything I cant do with it yet. Really the only time I even notice it is when I make the swing into the driveway. I have to make a really wide swing, sometimes back up a little and cut to make it in. Big deal, takes me ten extra seconds, if that. No, it isn't maneuverable like a little short wheelbase rig, but IMO the beefy drivetrain parts more than make up for it. Don't let them fool you, you CAN plow with a dually. It seems as though everyone saying it can't be done, or isnt practical or ideal, are people who don't have one and don't know what it is like. I plow gravel, crushed stone, and paved driveways, and a large paved commercial lot. Don't your highway department trucks have dual wheels, most of the time? If I was going to carry a big sander I would definitely rather put it on dual wheels than singles. I bought the dually for towing, but it definitely doesn't limit what I can do with it as far as plowing, and it's got way better drivetrain than a half ton or mini SUV. I'm beginning to see a lot more guys around here plowing with DRW extended cabs. Get plenty of ballast (or a nice big sander for the roads) and you'll barely ever need the 4wd.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm more concerned with the age of the truck than the Dually part.

I had a '90 Chevy, and it was quite rusty. With Jen being in the Pacific NW, I would think things get rusty there too?

Your talking an 18 year old truck. With that comes a LOT of parts well past their expected lifetime.

All I was saying is that for the same price range, a nice '96-'98 truck would likely be a better bet.

Jen, are you or your husband mechanically inclined as far as auto/truck mechanics go? That would have a good bearing on what I would recommend.

7. Detroitdan

I see your point, but we're comparing an 88 Ford to an 89 Chevy, right? So, same age, probably in the same ballpark rust-wise. Maybe that Chevy's beat hard from being a work truck all it's life, but I still think it's a better choice than trying to get any real work out of a light duty mini-SUV, with a non-commercial plow. And if something breaks on the Chevy, the parts availability will be much better, plus a Chevy is worth fixing.
    And isn't that a lot of money for a Snowbear? I thought they were only about $1000.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen many Bronco II's take beatings many of todays trucks wouldn't survive.

A nice Meyer or Western on that Bronco II and it'd be a nice little driveway truck.

But for Jen's proposed useage....like you say...a little light duty.

As for my comparison....there is a BIG difference between a '89 and a '96-'99 Chevy.

But, Jen, if the truck market there is slim, and this '89 is worth it, by all means, jump on it. Meyer parts are cheap, and if anything, the '89's are easier to work on (shade-tree wise). Just be prepared for fuel and brake lines, front suspension work, rust where you thought rust couldn't find, gas tank, and fuel tank rust. It's never ending sometimes.....even on trucks that were well taken care of.

9. Detroitdan

Jen, how about a little more info on the condition and mileage on these two trucks? That Chevy having a plow and a service body on a crewcab makes me wonder...sounds like something a municipality would buy. I'd ask for any information on who owned it previously, and don't let them tell you it was little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. If it's been owned by a municipality I'd be concerned it's been beaten hard for years. Still a better truck than a Bronco. Personally I would rather have that 89 Chevy than a brand new Ford, no matter what condition it's in. I just love Chevys, particularly 1 tons.
    Now that I think about it, you'd probably have to lose the service body to get a sander on it. But those are worth money, somebody would buy it used from you then you could put on a flatbed. And if it came new with a service body, from a cab and chassis, it may have the narrow rearend, making it even easier for turning and staying behind the plow. So you're biggest issue plowing would be the long long wheelbase.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  10. OverkillBronco2

OverkillBronco2 Junior Member
    from oregon

More Info

<smile>
    We already own the bronco 2.. so it would only be the plow investment.

My husband is an ASE certified mechanic... so those issues are kinda moot. And he does body work and painting also.

Neither vehicle has a drop of rust. When we bought the Bronco, it was wrecked, so all parts came of and it was went through with a fine tooth comb. Beautifull truck! wouldnt sell it for less then 5k. lol

The Chevy was a work truck.. ex forestry I believe. Lots of miles on it, but decent service record. Not a lick of rust on it. Dings n scratches, and broken grill.. but all minor.

The pros for the bronco: I know that truck inside and out, and it is as mechanicly sound as they come. very reliable.

The pros for the chevy: Bigger, stronger.. and the service bed will be EXCELENT for his mobile mechanic setup. We were thinking of taking the service bed off, and putting it on the 87 Ford F150 2 whel drive that we have.

Another idea, We have 2 other Fords.. ranger ext cab 4x4 that we could use the smaller plow on so as not to compromise my Bronco.

I very much appriciate all of the input that you are giving me! I never dreamed that I would have 8 responses so fast!

Another question.. How do people feel about the snow bear? I really dont know plows. I have been trying to learn all that I can fast.. total cram session! lol.

Once I get this sorted out, and make the choice, I will go through and try to search on pricing for jobs and such. I appriciate all of the people on here who have shared their contracts, pricing, and experience! This is one hellova website!

Hmmm.. After thought.. Do ATVs with plows make much of a difference? are they something I should be looking into also?

I wish that I could afford to just get both the plow and the truck, but my budget wont allow it for now. I was hoping to spend less then 2k, but when husband found that truck, budget went up. :( definately cant spend more then 4k, or I wont have money to buy GAS.. and not to mention more dry wood to keep our house warm. lol.

Jen

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006