1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 2500 font end poping or something.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 20, 2012.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

so i have been noticing that my front end like pops, hops and bangs around everytime i go in a cul-du-sac! does anyone know what would cause this or point me in the right direction? my cvs are tight, new idler arm. it has a steering stabilizer and the 8600lb gvrw and a 5.7.

im not very good with front end noise i just know its not right!

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My 04 Ram did something similar and it was the wheel bearing. Only happened while turning at first then progressively got worse.

3. the new boss 92

chitty, im going to check it out and see.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Crap I just remembered it needed a ujoint as well which I would be more inclined to think would cause the popping sound.

Even though the CV feels tight, that sounds like it could be the problem.

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree with plowguy43. In a fwd car I have experienced this when turning tight in parking lots and it was the cv joint. I don't know of a method to check a cv for wear. But for your truck they are reasonable at auto stores as complete 1/2 shafts with both inner & outer cv's included.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

hey boss,,,is it like a clicking while turning????

7. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Sounds like a front CV shaft to me ! They fail every couple of years when doing alot of plowing , as do wheel bearings . I've gotten to where I can almost do either one in my sleep !

8. the new boss 92

only when the plow is on, but doesn't click click click, just a click every once in awhile.

i know my passenger side cv has the slighest amount of play, but its coming from the driver side.

9. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

sounds like a ball joint to me.

10. the new boss 92

I did check the ball joints, they were replaced in June. I stuck a big bar under the tire, no movement.

11. meborder

meborder Senior Member

the newer unit bearing style wheel bearings usually howl/growl when they go out. Older style wheel bearings can click and pop, but yours are probably unit bearings.

i'd bet on half shafts.

they are a little more work to replace, but about half the cost of wheel bearings.

any chance of putting all 4 up on jack stands? get put it in gear and crawl around to locate the noise? That's what i had to do to verify the bad wheel bearing in my wife's car.

just a thought.

12. the new boss 92

its only when im turning, when im going stright down the road its fine, but when i turn, the front end makes a poping sond and starts hopping. i have stuck my head out the window and the wheel on the driver side itsnt poping to the right at all it stays put.

13. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Sounds like you have yet to put bearings in a GM with captive rotors . It's a bigger job than changing a shaft !

14. meborder

meborder Senior Member

i am a bit out of the loop on the newer style GM's, i'll admit.

also a ford guy, so i don't get around chevy too much any more.

my experience with chevy mostly come from the 2.5 years i spent selling parts at Advance Auto. I occupied the majority of my day selling part to guys with chevy trucks. I swear, without the C/K line of trucks, the parts houses would have little to do.

15. the new boss 92

my thoughts to, rotors are a pita if you cant get the hub out!

16. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I take the spindle right out , and work on it on the floor , Neverseeze on every fastener when reassembling . I've tried the $350.00 bearings and the $100.00 bearings , and don't see a difference in lifespan . The OEM ones are probably close to $600.00 by now and no warranty . The parts store one have a 1 year warranty .

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sway bar linkage or balljoint...maybe. I've replaced about everything in the front end to get rid of clicks so just throwing these out there as possibilities that can work.

18. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

That's funny ! There must be a bunch of Chevys in your area . My son has an 05 F-350 Super Duty . He had to replace the Ball joints and steering linkage ends every year , while it was under warranty ! After the warranty ended we redid it with Moog parts and have not had any problems . Ford's the only truck you can buy with a heated tailgate , so you don't freeze your hands pushing the POS . I've never gotten a letter from GM telling me not to park my truck inside or near a building because it may burst into flames !! :eek:

19. meborder

meborder Senior Member

coulda been a volume thing ... or maybe ford guys just didn't fix em ...

or, being a ford guy, i've got my own theories :D

either way, it was seriously about 2 or 3 to one, vs any other brand. To be honest, i don't think there was a day that went by without selling something for a silverado.

worst part was, guys would just tell me "its a silverado" .... which means next to nothing, other than knowing what trim level they have. usually, it was a half ton 4x4 with a 350 .... but every once and a while, it would be a half ton 2x4 with a v6 (which were usually chyenne's).

or they would come in for valve covers, or a water pump, and when i'd ask what year i'd get "dont matter, they are all the same" .... so, depending on the tone they took with me, i'd send them home with valve cover gaskets for a 94, and a water pump from a 89 GMC suburban.... then, when they came back because their parts didn't fit, "i thought they were all the same. so i didn't think it mattered ?!?" we all have our moments, i suppose.

anyway .... didn't mean to hijack a thread.

sorry i can't be of more help ... i'm still betting on half-shafts ...

20. the new boss 92

i was crawling around under the truck again and im thinking it is half shafts but the ruck does nee other work like tie rods and stuff so im hoping end of this week i can get everything done. the truck has 246000 miles with mostly original parts other than a new heart