1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dekalbplowing m, Oct 31, 2007.

1. dekalbplowing m

dekalbplowing m Junior Member

just bought a 88 Chevy 2500 with a 6.5 plow for 2800 is that a good deal or did I get screwed.
  2. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I think your going to need to give a lot more information than that to get any reasonable responces.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Specs, pictures? Will a 6.5ft plow clear the tires straight?
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I think its a little late for this question :p
  5. dekalbplowing m

more info on the truck. 350 efi engine 101,000 miles, 5 year old western 6.5 plow, lota rust on lower body runs good for 20 years old. I picked it up for $2800
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't get a steal I will tell you that! If it has alot of rust whats the underside frame etc... like on the truck? A 6 1/2 foot plow on a 3/4 ton... I don't see that working worth a s&#t but thats just me.
    So in otherwords the truck with out the plow from what you describe is worth $1000-$1500 without pictures this is kind of a hard thing to answer
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Who put a 6.5' plow on a 1500? A 7' is a little on the small side. A 7.5' is ideal, plenty of people run 8' with no problems. 6.5 isn't big enough for my Wrangler. Are you sure it's not bigger than that? I've looked at countless trucks where the owner will say it's an 8' when it's not, or a 7' when it's not. I'm really curious about this. If you do in fact have a 6.5' on a 2500 (longbed only that year), you better not turn the wheels at all when you plow.
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think $2800 is high. I sold my 89 Chev 3/4ton with an 8' western on it this spring for $1750. Had a new trans, new fenders, pass door and box. Rockers were gone but I trimmed it out and painted it so ya really didnt even notice. Had a new Flexsteel seat in it too. Plow was a newer style too. Really a nice truck

Shouldnt have sold it :realmad:
  9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

by market price then you probably paid too much. never really know with used vehicles. only way you will find out is how long it runs, how many repairs it will need, and how much money it makes you. thats what it comes down to. im not saying book price or market price is bs but in some ways...IT IS.
    hope your wrong on the size of the blade. little small. see how much it makes you and dont worry about spilled milk.
  11. dekalbplowing m

hey guys I made a mistake it is a 7.5 not a 6.5
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about your area but $2800 for a running/driving plow truck doesn't seem too bad. As long as it doesn't have any major issues that would cost a fortune to fix, you shuld be able to get plenty of work out of it. Around here everything is rusty by ten years old, as long as it will pass inspection that's the important thing. And don't expect to not have to put some money in it for brakes, exhaust, tires, stuff like that. That's normal for a used truck that old. As long as the frame is strong and the motor and tranny work everything else is minor.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think the plow is too small i go up to an 8ft blade
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I agree. Also, a couple of snowfalls and its paid for... leaving you with a free truck thats still worth something. If you can get a whole year out of it, and make a nice chunk of change, I'd call it a steal!

Can't get something like that around here that cheap... not often anyways.