1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 up cv joint life

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AtlasFBG2, Aug 31, 2001.

1. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Just wondering how many miles you get on 88 up chevys?Im talking about the cv joints going from the front axle to the front wheels.I replaced the rear driveshaft and front drive shaft u joints but am kinda hesitant since i never had any experiance with these cv joints.Since this is my first plow truck and first time plowing i dont really want something to break my first year.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If memory serves me right, we replaced joints only once in 6 years of plowing, and one of those was actually before we started plowing.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I had my left side go bad on my 89 GMC 2500 last winter,it gave me plenty of warning though.It had 146K miles on it,the right side is still quiet though.I feel the joint went bad because i ran it for a month with a ripped boot,I shouldve replaced it then instead of rebooting it.My brothers 88 GMC had the right side go out at 235K miles,it had a ripped boot for 6 months though.If the boots dont tear,and you dont crank up the torsion bars,they will last pretty much the life of the truck,but once the boot tears,your done if you dont fix it before dirt gets in.I see lots of guys crank up the torsion bars to get the front end to sit level,this makes the CV joints run at severe angles,and this eats boots,and joints very fast.Plowing doenst seem to affect the life of the joints much IMO,in my familt there are 10+ 88 and newer GM's and none have had to replace them for any reason other than running with torn boots.

4. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Since you both had them go bad what does it sound like?I know the sound of bad u joints but not sure what the cv joints sound like.Truck has 167k miles on it.I hear this clunk clunk clunk noise going around 30-45 mph when i let off the gas or lightly touching the gas.As soon as i give it more gas the noise goes away.Its a really light noise not loud.Since the front isnt under power i thought it was maybe the trans or transfer case but then i relized the cvs are still spining.Tomarow ill have to check the boots to see if they are torn.I never had a cv apart or seen one apart yet.If you guys have done these yourselfs are they easy or hard to do?Napa told me $600 for service kits to do all four cv joints.Ouch.

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Easiestway out is to go with rebuilt half shafts. I don't remember just what the big oens cost but I just put on in an S-10 and m cost was around $75 for the complete shaft. Worst part of replacing the joint is dealing with the clamps that hold the boot in place. There are several styles of clamp and they all require special tools to tighten them. Check at several parts stores until you find one that has the rebuilt shaft assemblies. That clink you're hearing is most likely a failed CV joint, grab the shaft between joints and see if it moves sideways, if it does you're into party time.

6. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Thanks Alan for telling me about the rebult shafts.The guy at Napa didnt metion anything about that and i didnt know about them either.You saved me a lot of cash going that route.After looking at the boots 3 of the 4 were torn.Rebuilt shafts cost me $134 each.The service kits cost $204 each for outboad and $129 each for inboards.Total for the kits woulda been $666 compared to $268 for both rebuilt shafts.The truck sits lower in the front so i dont think the pervious owner had the torsion bars cranked up.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My rebuilt was about 130 if i remeber right,this is the only way to go anymore,Ive had bad luck with NAPA shafts lately,Ive put 3 in in the lst 6 months,2 failer within 1 mile ,on the test drive,so be careful with Napa.When the guts blew apart on both rebuilt shaft ,you could se that very little grease was in them,I dont think there was enough grease to last more than an oil change,there wasnt even enough to coat the insdie of the boot,and CV joint.Even my Napa dealer gets me shafts from other companys now,I think the last one i bought was a cardone rebuilt.