1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'88 to '98 engine op. temp?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by schnitz, Jan 1, 2006.

1. schnitz

schnitz Member

My '97 has had a string of weird events lately. I've had a string of problems with water pumps and clutch fans. I think all of those problems are solved, finally. I do not have a plow on it. However, the temp needle will go from roughly 170* up to just about 200*, and then it will settle back down to 170*. So, what does your truck (in the same vintage) run temp-wise? I have a new thermostat in it (170*) Does your temp fluctuate that much? I really don't remember my old '93 doing that. Unless the plow was on it.

Thanks in advance, Chet.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The temp spiking is common on aftermarket thermostats. My 98 will spike up to 200 then settle down to 180. This only happens when the engine was cold. Once the thermostat opens it stays even.
  3. schnitz

schnitz Member

It might not worry me so much, but I've had my fill of changing the water pump on that truck (I can do it in 50 minutes start to finish now), and I'd hate to do another one. The first one fogged 3 lanes of traffic on the interstate. $75 to tow it 4 miles:dizzy: 4 pumps, one clutch fan, fan, belt, thermostat, and 10 gallons of antifreeze later, I'm still not sure I trust it to drive across town. Maybe I'm worrying too much about possibly nothing. The antifreeze is at a normal level still. One of my buddys has a '72 Skylark that he messes with the carb or the timing at least twice per week. He's a worry wart over that car. I just get the feeling I'm starting to do the same.

Thanks, Chet.
  4. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

my truck was doing the same I found the intake gasket to be leaking.