1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 or 100 inch bobcat bucket.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Oct 25, 2012.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I need to buy a snowbucket to load tandems. I will be running it on my s650 and will only be used for loading and stacking. I would like to go with the 100inch but don't want it to be to big for my machine. I looked at them at bobcat the other day and the 100inch is pretty Damn big. I wish the 88inch was just as tall and deep as the 100 inch but its shorter and shallower... what does everyone think? And they are bobcat brand buckets.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

http://www.skidsteers.com/spill-guard-spl

I'm planning to make something similar to this ^^^^ for my 88in snow bucket...I already made 1 for my 74in ci bucket, and it made a huge difference on how much snow it would hold.

I think your 650 would handle the 100in (be better/safer if you had the counterweights though)...dry snow would be nothing...its those wet heavy snows you may find it being a little tipsy?..?

fwiw, I do see a local guy here running a 100in on his 650...but I think its his only snow attachment..?.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. rob_cook2001

Is your 88in a bobcat brand bucket? If so how much more do you think it holds than your 74in low profile bucket??

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes.... "About" double.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't think the S650 would have any trouble with the 100". If your loading trucks you're gonna want to get as much as possible each bucket. That add on Snocrete has on his is great because then you don't have to worry so much about a snow boulder coming back onto the door from high up.

6. WIPensFan

Sno, isn't your guard much taller? I thought it was, put up a link to that photo please.

7. rob_cook2001

WIPens, how much more do you think your 100in holds compared to your standard dirt bucket?

8. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have a 100" bobcat brand snow bucket on a S250 with foam filled tires, Love it. If you are just loading trucks I wouldn't worry to much about it, I think the 650 and 250 are pretty much the same machine.

Make sure you have a cutting edge on your bucket, or when looking at buckets online they come with a cutting edge. ( If you end up straying from bobcat)

This link although not a bobcat bucket will give you in general the capacity of the different sized buckets.
    http://www.buyattachmentsdirect.com/skidsteerattachments/snow-light-material-bucket/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  9. WIPensFan

rob, I bought a 88". But the 100" would be 3 times what the normal construction bucket will hold.

Don't know if your running snow tires, but if you are there is some counter weight you're losing. Shouldn't matter but just a thought.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

will do

!!!definitely get a bolt on cutting edge!!!!

Its something to consider when using a bucket to load snow(due to the increased weight being "lifted" over a lower capacity tire than the standard lugs)...not so much a concern when running a pusher/plow/blower. But regardless, I think Rob will be just fine.

11. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I have one! A Bobcat brand 100" snow bucket. Its always on the 864 bobcat and it dose great and would say you will be just fine, 650 is a nice machine if its not enough they make a counter weight kit for it.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Here's another spec sheet from a company I am buying the 102 from just to compare bucket sizes FWIW

http://www.berlon.com/pdf/slmb.pdf

PS just noticed the weight savings in the Berlon's buckets

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

15. WIPensFan

That is awesome! rob you should really consider something like this. I have found when stacking or relocating piles, some of the snow breaks into various sized icebergs. If you're loading high up, you can lose one onto the door ( gotta protect that, I think they are over $1000 ). Heck I've almost hit the door just pushing into a pile and having it come over the back of the bucket. After about 2 hrs of "being carefull", the urge to "just get done" kicks in and I get careless.

This is good too, but taller is better IMO.

Thanks for posting those pics you guys. Thumbs Up

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

no problem Wip.

The one I plan to make for my 88in snow bucket will only be about 1/3 - 1/2 as tall as that one....considering the bucket is already much taller than the 74in ci bucket.

17. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

We have 100s on our s300 and s770 they work great

18. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Rob, how does the S650 compare, spec wise, to the older units? It seems to me that the 650 is a large framed unit but is it closer to the 205 than the 250? If so, the 100" may be a stretch for the 650. If memory serves the 88" was designed for use on the 185. What does Bobcat recommend? My A300 has handled my 100" well for many years. I have loaded 10 wheelers with it on several occassions. I have always thought that it holds around 2 yards, and that the standard low-pro (dirt bucket) holds about 3/4 yd. The specs for the Berlon (the link from Xtreme3d) shows their 102" at 1.65 yd. Not sure how it compares to the Bobcat 100" (depth and heigth), or what ASE spec that Berlon used to generate quantities, but snow will usually heep up pretty good. Considering that I would think that 2 yds is possible. Whichever one you end up with you can certainly adjust the number of trucks, you have to load, to avoid truck wait time. If you are production loading, for snow export, a loader will be the best option as long as you have the space.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The 650 is the replacement for the 250. Although it has a slightly shorter wheelbase & 74.3hp (as opposed to 75hp)....it weighs more, has a higher ROC, higher hyd HP, etc...Like I said earlier, the 650 will handle the 100, but the counterweights would help a lot.

Rob, I would like to know how often you anticipate using the bucket? Every snow? Couple times a season? Also, do you think you may use it for other stuff (just as much) once you have it? Examples- cleaning between cars/isles/etc. I ask this because a lot of the things I've found myself using a snow bucket for, I'm glad it wasnt any wider than 88in.

FWIW, I'm guessing that my 88in bucket will have "about" the same heaped capacity as a 100in...once I build the "greedy board" for it.

If all your going to do is load trucks with it...and you have the space...I'd go with the 100in.

20. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Snocrete brings up a good point (I was going to mention but decided against due to length of post). I use my 100" bucket almost all the time. I only used the the plow for a short section of emergency egress for an industrial park, and as a back up if a truck plow goes down. I use the bucket for everything else. It works well for p-lots and I use it on driveways too. I don't have any tract housing driveways. I have long, gravel drives, and many are capped with screened rock. I find it much easier to keep the screened rock on the drive instead of putting it in the landscaping. I have used it between cars too, but it can be a bit sketchy, and, IMO, an 88" would be better.