1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'88 K2500. 4Hi Works, But Not 4Lo

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mitragorz, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I'm stuck in FL while everyone else in the Northeast is moving snow around.

My father is out running my truck and he called to tell me that 4Lo doesn't work. 4Hi is fine, but not 4Lo. I'm down here until Sunday, so I'm just trying to get some research done so I can jump right into it when I get back.

He said the lever seems to be engaging fine, grinds a little bit as they all do, and "clunks" into place nicely. Just not getting any power to the front wheels. He IS in neutral when shifting, and I'm pretty sure he's remembering to take it OUT of neutral afterwards, lol.

He's getting along just fine in 4Hi, but it's something I need to fix. Plus, I don't like the idea of something broken in the transfer case and metal bits and shavings moving around in there.

What should I look for when I get back? Obviously not the diff, since 4Hi works, so it must be the transfer case.

2. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Seen your truck in the picture section, I used to have exact same year and model 6 lug 2500 GM. It was a great truck and 1 of 2 that I wish I never got rid of. How many miles and is it original drive train? Sorry I can't help with the 4lo issue, I've never really needed 4lo before in a full size truck but the diesels I used to drive for another LCO I know you had to put in 4 lo just so or else you could do some damage or it would not engage.

3. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

It seems to be a pretty good truck. Bought it used back in October, been fixing it up a little since then. The odometer is stuck at 174k, so I don't have an idea what it's true mileage is. And as far as I can tell, it's got the original drivetrain. Runs good though, but it's got some quirks. The engine surges at highway speeds. Not much, but enough for a passenger to ask "do you feel that?" It's subtle, but constant. A little more gas or a little less gas and it goes away.

I don't see myself using 4Lo much at all (especially with new Winterforce tires on the way!) but the thought of broken metal bits churning around in the transfer case freaks me out. Hopefully it's just a simple case of user error, and I'll be able to finesse it when I get back home.

It's a good truck overall. I may not ever sell it, I've really made it "mine" if you know what I mean.

4. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Turns out that the truck has to be in P for the 4Lo to engage properly. weird, as every truck I've ever owned would engage in N. Oh well... It works and I'm happy!