1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 GMC Sub. front driverside U-joint replacement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by polarplowing, Feb 16, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have a 1/2 ton GMC Suburban (1988, older body) and my driverside front u-joint is clunking/clicking really bad and need to replace it. A couple shops in town told me that you have to take the entire front axle apart. pull the hubs, differential cover, c-clips, etc out to get the u-joints out of there. Is there an easier way to do it?? Or is that the only way?? I am not sure the type of axle in the truck, but it is the factory 1/2 chevy axle. I thought maybe just pulling the front tire and sneaking in there to pull the u-joint out, but am not sure. I don't really dig that deep into axles, etc on my trucks. Any suggestions or comments??
    Thanks for your time.

Ryan
    Polar Plowing Service

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Is there and easier way? Short answer - Nope.

You need to get the axle out so you can press out the old U-joint and press in the new one. To get the axle you have to remove the hub, brake rotor and spindle then remove the front diff cover, differetnial pinnion shaft and axle retaining "C" clip. Then you can pull the axle out and get it to a bench and a press.

3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I have a u-joint press that can be used on the truck, but the knuckle still has to come out. It's not an easy job, so if you're not 100% confident, send it out to get done.

4. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I found a place intown here that will do it, they want $300 for parts and labor. So I think I will just have them do it. I am not 100% confident and for that price I will just have them do it. Thanks for your help.

Ryan