1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'88 Ford F350 Loses power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SCL, Jan 3, 2003.

1. SCL

SCL Senior Member

88 F350 w/460 FI New engine <10K Interesting problem. When its cold the thing will pull a house down. Once its warm it runs rough, like its drowning itself. The more load, the worse it is. O2 sensor 1 year old, no arcs from the plug wires. Got any ideas? Any other ?'s that could help go ahead and ask.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Possibly a clogged catalytic converter. Just a guess since you said when it starts to get hot, it loses it. Mike
  3. johngus

johngus Senior Member

sounds like a clogged cayalytic converter.You could hook up a vacuum guage on the engine and see if the vacuum gets very low when problem is happening.if it does remove the o2 sensor and try it,just that hole will allow the exhaust to escape enough to see a difference.
  4. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Probably not the converter, gutted that 2 years ago. Might try it anyway, maybe theres an obstruction but I don't know from where. Thanks so far.
  5. bwamx

bwamx Member

I would check for a vaccum leak. Are you getting a check engine
    light ?

I have a 88 5.8 FI that did the same thing , I solved the problem
    but it might not be the correct way.
    Try this, disconnect the wires to the egr control solenoid.
    Run the truck, see if this helps.
    I think you are going lean when it warms up.

Also check out this link lots of info here.

Let me know if this works.
  6. SCL

SCL Senior Member

PLowed with this pig on Sunday morning and had had it. I could hear ticking but couldn't see it. So I pushed up to a post, left it in gear (A/T) and popped the hood. Found two plug wire boots arcing.:eek: Replaced wires, cap, rotor , and plugs in the morning. WOW, what a diiference a properly working ignition makes:rolleyes: Thanks for all your help and bwamx thanks for the website.

7. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

If you had a diesel you wouldn't have that problem!:rolleyes: But congrats anyways. Spark makes a world of difference.