1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 Ford F-350 Lockout Hubs Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MorningDew Farm, Dec 15, 2007.

1. MorningDew Farm

MorningDew Farm Junior Member
    from vermont

My lock out hubs "Howl" while driving in 4wd and in 2wd w/hubs free wheelin it does'nt fully disengage. Sounds bad like it might seize up. But when plowing around the farm it's fine, 4wd works great. Except sometimes when she's been sitting for awhile locked in 4wd, The frontend clunks' then frees up. I was told all i need to do is grease the front hubs. Any Help would be appreciated

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

after unlocking the hubs/shifting out of 4wd, back up for a few feet before driving forward. this should help to fully disengage the hubs.

as for the "howling" its hard to say without seeing/driving, but i would be very surprised if its a problem with the hubs. the howling is probably from an old bearing that only spins when the hubs are locked such as a carrier or pinion bearing. draining out the old fluid and putting in some new fluid may help, and is a good form of preventive maintance, but it will likely not eliminate the howling. does the howling occur with 4wd engaged and hubs locked, or when hubs are locked and 4wd disengaged, or when hubs free and 4wd enagaged? check on all these scenarios to help isolate the problem. and remember to back up several feet after unlocking the hubs/shifting out of 4wd to fully disengage.

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

The truck is an 88. When was the last time the hub locks were disassembled & cleaned? They don't last forever. They need maintenance too. The guts are only held together by a couple of snap rings. Do them one at a time, so you don't forget how they go back together. Clean all the parts completely and lightly grease them before reassembly. While you have the hub locks out, you can kind of get an idea if the wheel bearings need attention too.

4. MorningDew Farm

from vermont

Thanks for the tips...i just bought this truck this past fall and have'nt gone through it yet. i only paid a thousand bucks for it, so i was thinking the problem could be worse. A short history on it: i bought the truck w/8' fisher plow & 8' fisher spreader, drove it from Ct. to Vt. with no problems. Put a clutch in it and did a few minor things to it. It runs great, but can't drive any distances with it in 4wd. It plows fine in 4wd. So after reading these posts i have to pull out the hubs and clean&inspect then reassemble with fresh grease. Hopefully this does it since i am getting tired of filling the gas tank w/5gal cans. i will also practice reversing after hubs and 4x are out. Thanks again for the input....i will post the results

5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

If you don't know the maintenance history of the truck, I would just go ahead and pull it apart further to check the wheel bearings themselves. The front axle shaft u-joints could also be drying up. If you clean and lube the hub locks right, there should be no need to "back-up" to make sure they disengage.

6. MorningDew Farm

from vermont

I'll do a complete go through on the frontend: hubs/u-joints/wheelbearings.....it's definately in the front end because 2hi,4hi, and 4low shift and work fine so it can't be the transfer