1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 ford F-250 what are my sander options??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ENZOFORZA, Jan 25, 2001.

1. ENZOFORZA

ENZOFORZA Junior Member

I have an 88 ford f-250 w/ a 7.5' fisher. What are my options as far as puting a sander on it. I don't mind upgrading the suspension if thats what needs to be done. I have seen a few sanders around (airflo, raven, diamond etc) Anyone have any luck with a pickup/sander combo. The truck has an 8' bed/3spd auto/351/ 110k miles. I just spent a small fortune on it and it would make me sick to have to trade up to a 350/450 after spending all that $$. thanks to the veterans of this forum. I have learned so much from this website!!!

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

look at the fishers, have a fisher tailgate and i love it

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have an 88 F-250 that I just set up with a Fisher Pro Flow 2 (tail gate spreader) and works great. I can use bulk in it or leave a pallet in the back (I use that for ballast anyway). I did just add 2 leaf springs to each side to handle the load better. I've seen plenty of these trucks with V-boxes too, so that must be an option too.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Look at the smith harder electric all stainless v box. It is only 650 lbs and very reliable, with no engine to worry about. You will need to upgrade the alternator tho.
    It is a 1.5 yd capacity, but that doesnt mean you have to heap it. that spreader with 1 yd in it, will be ok for that truck.
    Dino

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino-

Do you know a ball park price on that unit? I love the looks of them, but I assume the price is much higher than a gas model?

6. plowking35

from SE CT

I payed 3500.00 with tax 2 years ago, and I almost bought another one this year as well, for the same price. I have spoken with others, and the prices on that unit seem to be between 3100-3600.00. About = to a gas /mils steel combo.
    A gas stainless unit usually runs about 4000-4500 depending on engine brand.
    Dino

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Dino,
    That electric sounds pretty neat.Don't have to worry about running out of gas!!!
    Electric to me,doesn't seem like it would have enough butt.
    Learn something new every day.

8. plowking35

from SE CT

http://www.smithspreaders.com
    Its a very nice unit, and works great. They also offer hydro and gas options as well, but the electric does just fine. The motor is a 28 amp unit, but thats at start up, one running amps drop off.
    Dino