1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 f250 wont fire

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MJD82, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Hi all I am looking for advice from soime of our seasoned ford plowsite members my 351 winsdor will not fire I have changed the icm plugs wires and ignition coil. I have spark air and fuel but the engine will not fire even on ether I am thouroghly confused any info from anybody that knows anything about 351s would be greatly appriciated happy plowing!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might pull the ignition module off the distributor and have it tested. Most part stores have the tool to remove it. Once you get the screws loose pull it straight down. A good part store can test it. I can say with much experience that it is bad. Buy the heavy duty one when you replace it. Use dielectric grease on it when you install the new one. Both where it contacts the distributor and the plug where it connects.

3. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Well that's the thing I already changed the ignition control mod the (icm) its brand new that's why I'm stumped it still won't fire

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of an ICM. It is called a TFI (Thick Film Ignition module). So you changed the TFI module and you state you have spark, then why did you change it. There is also a part in the distributor called a STATOR which gives the crank trigger signal which Ford calls it a PIP signal. I have seen these go bad. Replacing the STATOR requires full dissassmebly of the distributor.
    You state you have fuel, what is the fuel pressure reading.
    T.J.

5. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

if the ign module is on the fender, its rare they go bad... the distributor mounted ones go bad alot.. if you got a wells part from autozone, they are bad out of the box most of the time. check your fuel pump reset switch under the dash...

6. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Strangely enough it is a wells autozone ign mod both fuel pumps are working one in tank and one on ds frame rail but like I said I'm getting spark there's no air restrictions and I have played with the timing it still won't kick not even on starting fluid and anything that has spark should atleast kick on starting fluid this is why I'm stumped.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hearing fuel pumps come on don't mean ****. What is the fuel pressure reading at the rail.
    T.J.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The repair manual should have check out procedures for all the ignition and emissions systems. ( Most stuff can be tested with a volt / ohm meter.) The systems are tied together in places. Where if one of the parts are bad it may be out of time or not fire. You really need to know the fuel pressure. Without that you don't have all the information. Try to test and not change parts. It just makes your day worse when once again, that's not it. It you have duel tanks the mechanical tank switcher may be at fault. I chased one for a year. You can get one out of a junk yard cheap.