1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 F-250 with a LZ plow questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by minnesota_duane, Dec 4, 2008.

1. minnesota_duane

minnesota_duane Junior Member

Bought a 1988 F-250, the body is in real decent shape with a like Brand new 8 foot LZ plow and Monarch hydraulics last week, supposedly with a bad engine. Turned out to be bad plugs and a bad TPS. (Motorcraft originals?)

I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, TPS. I had to replace pads, calipers, wheel cylinders and rear shoes. I serviced the front & rear diffs with synthetic gear lube, changed out the transfer case fluid with mercon V and serviced the trans (AOD, shoot me:gunsfiring:) I work in a transmission shop so when that dies it's getting a C-6!

With everything I have done so far I am still under $2000

The truck has new rear leafs and sits pretty high in back but the front is a different story, I have a set of new rear leafs from a 88 F-350 dually that I measured up tonight and it looks like I can add three of the leafs. These three would be not the top one with the eyes but the three bellow it. I will have enough axle U-bolt length to add these if I need to add the three bellow these I will need new bolts.

I'm wondering if anyone has done anything like this before and if I am waisting my time and effort. I need to get the front up to clear the tires I have coming. I bought some military surplus 36 12.50 16.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT II OZ Hummer tires, I am hoping they will do ok in the snow?

Anybody have any insight on LZ plows and where I can find some shoes for it?

Is there a preferred fluid for the Monarch pump? How often should it be changed?

Anything else I should be looking over before I use this?

Sorry for the long post just trying to cover everything before I put it to use, would rather fix it now then when it's iced up and I need it.
  2. minnesota_duane

minnesota_duane Junior Member

Dang you guys are helpfull:rolleyes:

Added three leafs, that's one to many.

36 12.50 16.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT II Millitary OZ tires :salute: suck on ice, noisy on the road but they ride pretty decent and look kinda cool. I am probably going to get something diffrent though.

Still havent serviced the Harmony pump, would like to know what to use in it for oil.

Still looking for plow shoes to fit the LZ truck equipment plow. I tried their web site and it doesn't look like they still make plows or offer parts.