1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 F-150 351 running very HOT

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SnowStooge3, Jan 23, 2005.

1. SnowStooge3

SnowStooge3 Junior Member

Could Anyone tell me, if i was to put a 10x20 transmission cooler, a 4 core radiator,& a heavy-duty fan clutch, would this help cool me down.I run a 7.5 western ultramount, about 3"off the road angled to the right, to help cool it down. I heat up bigtime at highway speeds.The radiator (2 core)was just flushed, i already removed the ac condenser. I do hear the clutch fan kick in at slower speeds, but not when i need it to. I see tons of other 87 to 91 f-150's going down the road plows all the way up & straight blading. Any suggetsion's for my problem :(
  2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

have you flushed it all out? checked the t-stat?

I run a radiator for an ac truck, cant remem how many cores, and e-fans i swapped in.

The tranny cooler will bring the temps down, i would go with the biggest you can find to be honest.

BTW, the fan is only needed at lower speeds. If it is needed at higher speeds, you have coolant flow issues IMHO. My e-fans only come on when i am backing up while plwoing, they are almost never on.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have an 89 / 351 / C-6 / F-250.
    Sounds like your fan clutch is working.
    If you have the single belt system (serpentine) the tensioner may be weak and need replaced. ( mine would rotate almost off the belt on high RPM ) Look at your fan blades too,mine were so rusted I was afraid one would fly off! ( Make sure to get the direction of rotation if you buy a new one )
    If you just got this truck or bought it used with Lot of miles on it I would change the thermostat.
    Order it at the counter and make them look it up. Fords take different designs then the standard stuff on the aisle displays. Someone may have put whatever they had in the truck.( mine had a 10 degree cooler one installed ) A new radiator cap may help too, it will keep the system at the right pressure without discharging into the over flow. Try squishing your top hose when it's cold and see if it is pushing coolant into the over flow tank,if so the caps stuck open.
    ( mine had one rated too high 16 # vers 13#)
    Once again, make them look it up so you get the right pressure rating.
    Make sure all your fins are straight on the front of the radiator so it flows as much air as possible. Run the emergency cooling when it gets real high
    ( Heat on vent blower on high windows 1/3 down) Mine stays cool running 45 - 55 in 4X4 on the highway, plow down and angled rt.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  4. SnowStooge3

Thanks all, I checked all in question. radiator cap was preasure tested at 13lbs, thats good. The fan & belt tentioner are in good shape. I was planning on changing the t-stat anyway, stock is a 195*, should i drop it back to a 180* to cool sooner? I did notice when i flushed the system, the coolant was trickling out of the cores. My old chevy sprayed like a firehose when circulating, maybe i have a partialy blocked radiator.
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i thought stock was 195, you can try 180 but you will have less heat inside. I would suspect rad since that is really the only thin used at speeds above 35 to cool the vehcile....make sure to do a complete flush before installing the new one.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

Few other things to consider:

getting a 3 row radiator and taking into consideration the condition of the water pump, im a bit anal when it comes to maintenance, if I don't know how long that thing has been on there I change it, better to change a $50 water pump when your nice and warm in the garage then when it goes on you in the middle of plowing and you lose money and possibly require a tow as well.
    The impeller on a water pump can deteriorate with age and wont put out the volume it is supposed to.

Like others have said- change the thermostat as well.
  7. SnowStooge3

Boy is the joke on me, i spent a ton of money on the suspension, getting it ready to plow. I never gave it a thought, if the cooling system was up to snuff. I do appreciate everyone's input. Thanks
  8. bad dad

bad dad Junior Member
    from canada

bad dad

when you flush a rad you shoud take out the t-stat ,this will flush engen to

biger rad will help .trany cooler will help the trany but not the motor.
    remove rad and power wash the fins out thay get will pluged after years try this frist bfor you by a rad and change the t-stat

when you flush , flush with cap off this way you can see it your pump is good if you flushed ,you can do it a gane oh make shour your belts are tite

thk good luck andy