1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 chevy tbi sputters when warm in lower rpms

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redneckinit24, Apr 2, 2009.

1. redneckinit24

redneckinit24 Junior Member

i have a 88 chevy k1500 350 5.7 tbi that sputters in lower rpms when warm doesnt do it when cold!!! mostly in 3rd gear at low speeds any answers?? thanks

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. redneckinit24

i guess it doesnt really sputter it like kicks back/jerks until get gets going faster

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A good place to start with these trucks is a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel and air filters. Only use AC Delco plugs, cap & rotor. Napa PREMIUM wires are OK, and quite a bit cheaper than AC wires.

Some good reading here.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=79988

You can do some searching also. A wealth of info on this site.

4. redneckinit24

ok cuz i did put new plugs in it not to long ago ill look at the cap and rotor i pulled the plugs they look clean and dry so maybe rotor and cap! thanks!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are your plugs gapped to? Probably should be .035 for TBI. Make sure they are genuine AC Delco.

6. redneckinit24

i think there auto lites??? should i change em to ac delco? but there were gapped at .035

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would start by changing them to AC. I had a tremendous difference when I went to AC, and many others on this site agree they are the best for our Chevy trucks.

8. redneckinit24

thanks for the input guys i cleaned the cap and rotor,plugs and got new wires and set the timing runs great now!!!! i can lug it in 3rd with no kicking!!

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent! Glad to hear it.