1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 Cherokee Mounting point

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by simpass, Oct 24, 2009.

1. simpass

simpass Junior Member
    from Montana

I want to mount a 6' 6" plow on my 88 Cherokee(Plow was free and had the Jeep). It already has a lift kit on it.
    The plow is an older Meyers ST-78 and came with some frame mounts, looks likes it could have fit a Wrangler. I know I need to modify the mounts but was wondering where would be the best place to tie into the frame? Could you tie into the frame in the front and use some U bolts around the front axle for the rear mount?
    Also anyone with a wiring diagram?

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

:nono: You're kidding---right??

3. simpass

simpass Junior Member
    from Montana

No, I am not kidding. That was a method used by someone else I asked and I was verifying it's validity. Apparently you didn't think it was a good idea, but didn't offer another idea, which is why I was asking.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I just modded a Wrangler bracket to fit on my 1999 XJ Cherokee.

The Cherokee needs extra reinforcement since it does not officially have a frame like a Wrangler does. Basically, use decent sized plates to distribute the load.

The XJ has three bumper bolts on each side, and a 5/8" sleeved hole on each side about 12" back from the bumper bolts.

Here is the factory XJ Western mount (I based mine on this and added some bolts), not much to it, three bumper bolts, then it reaches back to those 5/8" sleeved holes.
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13637_011193.pdf

Here is what I made, it uses the three bumper bolts on each side, three steering box bolts, 5/8" sleeved holes, and two sway bar bolts too (15 in total).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. simpass

simpass Junior Member
    from Montana

Thanks that was great help, looks like a good fix