1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 AT to MT swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rocky383, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

I have an 88 suburban and a 87 suburban that has become a parts truck. my 88 is an auto and the 87 has the great 4 speed (3 + low). i am planning on doing a motor swap and i was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to replace the auto with the 4speed. i have all the parts, i guess i just dont know if the 88 has all the mounting locations for the pedals and hydraulic clutch. also will it change the location of my t-case. i have driven manuals my whole life and i just dont like driving an auto esp offroad. so ANY help would be appreciated.
  2. long0

long0 Senior Member

I am not sure about the suburban, but I know the body style changed on the pickups between 87 & 88. Motors will be swappable (not sure if that is a word), but I don't know if the tranny's would be.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That body style sub continued through 91, all parts will swap over, the center tunnel for the tranny area will have to be drilled and removed from the auto and have the 4 sp tunnel installed. You will need all the driveline components and cross members from the donor truck.
  4. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

thanks dino
    do you know if the pedals will mount with out a problem. rather is the pedal mount in the auto truck the same as in the manual truck? also can i just cut a hole in the hump for the manual or do i need to swap the whole hump?
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i think the humps are different so you will need to swap. although on my 76' it is just bolted and siliconed on.