1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88-98 Chevy Frame problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ'S Outdoor, Oct 18, 2012.

1. DJ'S Outdoor

DJ'S Outdoor Junior Member

anyone here ever have a problem with the frame rusting where the front lower control arm mount goes?
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

yep, especially in Minnesota. Not much you can do but cut out the bad metal and weld some good stuff in (plus add the braces that I believe B&B came up with). that'll keep the control arm mounts from bending.

Lots of guys on here use fluid film to coat the frames so they won't rust.
  3. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I have a small rot hole followed by a crack
    Going to weld it up within the next few weeks.
  4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Make sure you cut out the rust and a bit beyond so you have good steel to weld to. The frame accumulates salt and dirt through the factory holes. The old 93 1500 I had did that. When we cut it out there was about 5 lbs of crap in each side.
    Now when I wash my truck, I put the nozzle right in those holes and flush that crap out.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and if you have a 1" hole from the inside out plan on it being 3-4x bigger on the inside as most of the boxed frames i have seen rust bad from inside out.

and check local/ state inspection / safty laws for fixing / welding / repairing on a frame .

in new york state your not to weld / cut / fishplate with in 6" of suspension mounting point last i recall seeing in the rules book.

and seen lots of 88-98 style go bad begind cab were cab mount / box first mount combo is welded to frame . colects crap and thins out there also.
  6. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

Any pics of the b&b piece?
  7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict