1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88-89 ford F250 worth it?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dlongerman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

i have the chance to pick up a 88 or 89 ford F250 Gasser v8 w/ a boss Vee plow. i'm told that it needs a new floor on drivers side, and brake lines need to be fixed/ replaced. it also has a utility box bed i will go and check it out tomorrow hopefully and will get some pictures up on here by tomorrow. i'm buying it from my boss, and he is a mechanic, but i will have my families mechanic come to take a look at it. he is wanting 1500.00 for it.

i'll get more info tomorrow. and put up some pics in the evening...

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check out the springs really close. They get weak and with that heavy of a plow they will probabily need replaced. The plow is worth that much anyway. I would buy it. I have 2 of the same trucks now and they work good.

3. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

if its just going to be a plow truck then i would offer him 1000 for it.The plow is worth that alone.im sure it will need alot of work most fords do those years.good luck let us know how you make out.

4. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

bump bump bump

will be used all year
    till it dies....

5. mainecowboy

mainecowboy Junior Member
    from Maine

Here's another bump for ya-- I'm interested too.

Thanks,

J

6. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

what will i find that will go out quick on this truck?
    come on people....
    let me know pro's and con's please

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Front end pieces wear out. Nothing that can't be fixed tho.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i have an 86 F250 - same truck, different nose. i do U joints and ball joints every 3 years. thats it - aside from routine maintance - although U and ball joints could be considered routine also. if you have the c6 3 speed auto tranny (no overdrive) then you got nothing to worry about. the overdrive can be a problem from what i've heard, but i have no experience with one. is it a heavy or light duty 250? people complain about the independant front end on these trucks but i've never had an issue. my truck has plowed every winter since 1987 and currently does 55 residentials per storm.
    go for it. even if the truck bites it the plow is worth more than double the asking price.