1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 5.7 ltr won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tovoninc, Dec 18, 2002.

1. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I have a K2500 5.7 liter that has been running rough off and on. Last night I went to start it and it would turn over and try to start but no luck. I'll be taking it to the garage tonight. To me this sounds like the ignition module. Any other thoughts?
  2. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

Usually when the ignition module goes bad the motor wont "try" to start, they'll just crank and crank and crank. I've never heard of them slowly going bad just one day the motor wont fire. If the motor is attempting to fire then there is a problem else where.
  3. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

start simple and I agree with dave_dean modules usually quit no ifs about it

check plugs, wires, cap, and rotor
    if appear ok

check for fuel look and see if the injector pulse fuel when cranked over

that should start you off
  4. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be a bad O2 sensor and that fouled the plugs causing it to not start. Took it to a shop for the fix but at least I was able to cover all the basics.