1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

88 2500 to 90 2500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by barry1974w, Aug 22, 2014.

1. barry1974w

barry1974w Junior Member

So my old 88 2500 finally bit the dust so I bought a 90 2500 to swap the Arctic snow plow onto. Now that I've pulled everything apart I see that the trucks aren't exactly the same.... It turns out the 88 2500 is a light duty and the 90 is not so there are some differences in the frame. Does anybody know what parts I'll need to make this install work, I've recently lost my job, so I'm really trying to avoid buying a whole new install kit.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What kinda trk you talking about?

3. barry1974w

barry1974w Junior Member

88 chev 2500 to a 90 chev 2500

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Seeing how your going through a body style change I'd say no. Just the proper mount will do

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought an 88 and a 90 Silverado were the same body, just different grill and head lights.

6. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I believe 88 and 90 2500s are the same body (C/K body).
    The Blazers, Suburbans, and 1-tons/crew cabs carried over the old body style (R/V body).

Barry, is one truck a 6-lug (7200 GVWR) and the other 8-lug (8600 GVWR)?

7. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

When looking up Arctic plows online, it does not specify heavy or light duty for either year.
    Other plows (Fisher for example) show different mounting kits for the two.

I would call Arctic to be certain.

8. barry1974w

barry1974w Junior Member

Yes, one of the trucks is a light duty (six lug) and the other is an eight lug. For the newer plows it seems that there are different bolt holes you use for the different frames, but on the mount that I have the doesn't appear to be any other bolt holes to use. Just hoping that somebody that somebody has done this before and can help me in the right direction.
    Thanks for all the reply's so far.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Not sure if it's helpful to you, but I did a plow swap between a 93 and a 98 2500. Both were 8600 gvw 8 lug. However, I did need to drill a couple holes on both trucks. The 98 had a meyer and the 93 had a western, and I wanted the western on the 98 and I sold the 93 with the meyer.

All that to say, measure the frames and if the only differences are some holes, then just add the holes.

10. barry1974w

barry1974w Junior Member

On the light duty the frame is straight right to the end, on the HD there's an upward bend in the frame about 8 inches from the end, that's the issue, the holes are all the same, but the push arms don't line up because of the vertical difference.

11. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

Same frame, same mount as long as they are both 4x4.