1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87Bronco 5.0 efi stuck in park

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jhart3rd, Aug 8, 2004.

1. jhart3rd

jhart3rd Junior Member

My 87 Bronco sat up for about 6 months. It was running fine when I parked it. Now it will not shift into drive. I can force the shift lever into reverse then the motor dies. There are so many relays and such I don't know where to begain. Any help out there?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If the lever will not go down due to the electric lock-out mechanism, try turning the vehicle off and then in the on position (the first click of the key tumbler). If the lever comes down without effort than you have a blown fuse or cut wire that you will have to trace.

If you can put the trans in gear but the engine dies than there may be a problem with your trans. More specifically you could have a clogged valve body or, depending on the type of trans, a frozen band.

There could laso be the possibility that a critter may have made a nest on to or ear the trans linkage and could be interfering with the operation of the mechanicals of the shifter.