1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 V20 TBI Flood at Idle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MrDog, Sep 5, 2004.

1. MrDog

MrDog Junior Member
    from Wbg, VA

I've got an 87 V20, 350 TBI that runs way rich. In fact it runs so rich that it won't idle until one of the injectors is disconnected. And talk about poor mileage, in two hours I burned a quarter tank of fuel sitting in my driveway. Anyway, I've replaced MAP and O2 sensors. Checked EGR valve, EAC solenoid, TPS sensor, Coolant Temperature Sensor -- all Ok. Tried my spare ECU and a different TBI assembly [neighbor had one from his last 87 pkup.] Tried plugging the vacumme lines. Don't believe it's fuel pressure because it runs the same on each tank [different fuel pump in each tank.] In the end, no help. No codes set in ECU. Advice, besides, shooting the truck, would be appreciated.

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Just had that same problem on a 82 vet with crosfire injection and it turned out to be the plug to the cpu not mateing properly causing a bad ground which signeled the injectors to go to WOT all the time. We did receive a code 44 on it though. check your plugs and grounds but first check the last thing that was worked on before it started acting up.
    Dwan

3. MrDog

MrDog Junior Member
    from Wbg, VA

Truck went from running Ok to sick pretty much over a week's time. Last maintenance done was oil change & lube 'bout 2,500 miles ago.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Those are the only ting I can relate to hopefuly someone else can help I would still look for a loose conection or croded connection. hard to troubleshoot over the net.

5. MrDog

MrDog Junior Member
    from Wbg, VA

Thanks. I did go out and check connections, etc., didn't help. Checked w/vacuum gage, max of 10 in of vacuum -- low and variable. Something leaking, someplace???! Ummm... Will look more in the AM when the mosquito’s aren't quite as lively.

6. webbmotorsports

webbmotorsports Junior Member

re: flood at idle

I have the same problem with my 91. did you ever find the problem?

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Start with fuel pressure. The regulator is located in the TBI unit so tank side is irrelevant.