1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 tbi troubles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by norman28, Sep 21, 2002.

1. norman28

norman28 Junior Member
    from ok

help! while driving down the road my truck died and would not restart. i have fuel flow to the injectors but nothing coming out of them. i pulled the connecters off of the injestors to see if they were getting any voltage, they were getting around 40 mv. i don't have any idea what they are supposed to get? anyway, if anyone has any ideas what to do next i would appreciate the help.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Did you plug a Noid light into the injector to see if its pulsing? If you did and its not pulsing, 9 times out of 10, the computer is bad. The computer is what controls injector pulse. Im not 100% sure, but i think the Ignition Module plays a part with the injectors too. Mike
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Check the ECM fuses there should be 2 (10) amp fuses,they blow when someone puts the air cleaner on and pinches the wiring between the tbi unit,and the spacer under the air cleaner,unlike Mike,i hardly ever seen those TBI computers go bad.The computer is a big grounding box,the power to the injectors is supplied thru those ecm fuses,the ground is thru the computer,if the noid light doesnt light,and you have power at the injector,you have a bad computer,a wiring problem,or a distributor problem,either a module,or a pickup problem. Norman,feel free to Pm m if you need more help. John
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Another place to check - You should have a wire that is attached to the Thermostat housing. I believe this is the ground for the TBI. I did not reinstall this wire once, and had the same problem as you, fuel to the injector, but no out of the injector.

5. TimP

TimP Junior Member
    from Ohio

Norman I'm havint he same problem with a 1988 chevy truck what did you find out? I've put in a new fuel pump and injectors to no luck!
    Thanks Tim:(
  6. norman28

norman28 Junior Member
    from ok

thanks for the advice guys, turns out a wire to my starter solenoid had grounded out against my exaust manifold when i went over some railroad tracks.
  7. Dean G

Dean G Junior Member
    from conn.

fuel pump

have no power to fuel pump relay