1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 R10 Computer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mule, May 9, 2002.

1. Mule

Mule Junior Member

Ok, ive got a 87 R10 with a 305, TBI and a coil-out-of-cap HEI. I suspect the computer is bad. I have put a new ignition system in except for the coil. I know the engine is mechanicaly sound. I put a mechanical distributor in, disconected the computer and it ran fine. I another odd thing, when i hooked up a jumper wire to see if the computer would give me a code 12, a clicking noise came from the TBI unit. Please Help!!!!!!
  2. Mule

Mule Junior Member

First rule of working on anything! Never assume anything! As i might have mentioned, i replaced all the ignition EXCEPT for the coil. On my way to the junkyard, i stoped in at a local garage and did some BS'in in the mechanic. They wanted 45 bucks for a puter at a salvage yard. I was about to smash the old one, convinced that it had to be a computer related problem when i listened to myself explain my situation. Ya know, that coil could be bad. Hmmmmmm. 15 bucks later and its a runner. All my buddies told me to do away with the TBI and just slap a good old fashioned carb on there. Call me stuborn but i wanted to keep it stock. My buds claim i wouldnt get that worse of MPG. Any thoughts?
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As long as the TBI is working why change it.