1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 lost 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow tender, Dec 10, 2009.

1. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Need a little help. Went to put the truck in 4 wheel drive yesterday but didn't happen. Its a 87 one ton dump with the locking exterior hubs.I can feel the transfer case locking in but no 4 wheel. I thought that the trucks with locking hubs don't have the actuators but could be wrong. I am at a loss. open for suggestions.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One of the auto hubs isn't engaging. Common problem with them on a plow truck even way back when they weren't all that old. The auto engaging mechanism wears out prematurely from the continuous forward/backward motion and eventually just stop working all together. Auto hubs on a plow truck were always a poor idea. Many guys swapped them out immediately after the truck was destined for plow use.

So a fresh set of good aftermarket manual locking hubs will fix it right up.

3. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

B & B to the rescue. Thanks.:salute: I will check out a set of hubs. They look like they should be a easy remove and replace. With any luck will get it up and running before the next snow fall.

4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

One ton does not have Auto hubs.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The heck they didn't. Have changed many over to manuals over the years.

The auto's were an RPO option on all weight classes from '81 thru '87 and on the 1 tons, Subs and Blazers to '91.

6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I stand corrected.;)

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 on that info.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's what the 1 ton autos look like...

!Bb82(R!B2k~$(KGrHqUH-EUEqvihLyBFBKyVD74hCw~~_12.jpg