1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 GMC 3500 Dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

ok real quick for those of you who don't know me..I'm a small solo op. Do mainly mowing during the summers. I'm a school teacher full time during the reg school year. Doing pretty good mowing and this year I did quite a bit of power washing, mulching, brush hogging and tree cleanup/clearing work. I'm currently running a 2004 Chevy 2500HD. This is my main and only work truck and has a Meyer plow on it as well.

Since I started my company, I've been looking for a decent, cheap, older dump truck. I stumbled across one yesterday that has my name all over it. it's a 1987 GMC 3500 4x4 dump. Needs some minor work but nothing major according to the seller. Fixing/repairing isn't much of an issue as I do it all myself. Truck looks decent from the pics. Little rust on the rocker panels, dump body is in nice shape as is the rest of the body. very minor surface rust. Seller claims all it needs is a power steering pump (included with the sale). It also has a "newer" Western plow setup and it does in fact look newer from the pics.

I offered a crazy low price on it and she said fine. Said her son will even tow it here (about a 3 hours drive from me) for free. The Western plow package alone is worth more than what I offered for the truck. She said she is cleaning up her property and just wants it gone. So I'm going to get it. While it won't make me a ton of $ directly, it'll be a huge improvement from using a reg pickup for chipping jobs, mulch, firewood, etc. So it's more of a convenience than anything.Even if I end up not using it, I can fix it up and flip it for a few bucks at the very least.

So long story short, my question is what are your thoughts on this model? I had an 86 K10 in college and loved it. Couldn't break it no matter how hard I tried. I think this GMC has a 350 with a TH400. Not sure on the transfer case or axles. I assume the rear would be a GM 14 bolt.....What were the major issues with this year truck? Looks like it'll be a little workhorse with a little TLC. Might even paint it and make it look nice too.

What are your thoughts? (Sorry for the long winded post)

Moderators: I posted this in Lawnsite as well. feel free to remove if it's against the forum rules.

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

How long has the truck been sitting? Brakes, hoses, tires, dryrot issues. Old gas. Is the plow pump run off the powersteering pump?
    My advice is to inspect it personally.
    A "newer" plow might mean it only was used a couple seasons 15 years ago....
    I hope it is a diamond in the rough though.

3. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

no idea how long it's sat. The lady said she bought it for her son and he "lost interest". I'm assuming it'll need some new lines possibly and a good going over. Hell my 04 Chevy is due for brake lines this week, those things are horrible. The Western is electric/hydraulic and the blade looks to be in better shape than the Meyer I'm running on my current Chevy. The blade looks like a Western but the pump and truck mount look to be a Meyer?? She says it's all a Western tho, we'll see. To me that pump looks like an E47 but I've been wrong once before LOL

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

Here's a couple of pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5. mark268

mark268 Member

Defiantly a Meyer pump and looks to be an older Western Pro Plow. Looks in decent shape though

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Does the weiner dog come with it?

7. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

obvious the mechanics does it run? motor free or locked any kind of leaks (brakes,motor,transmission) The problem we have in ohio is finding older dumps in nice shape. A lot of time the motor or drivetrain is shot or the body is beyond repair. These are good workhorse trucks with the proper care and little tlc. The 350 and th400 are bullletproof now it wont win in any race and be a dog once heavily loaded (stone,slag,concrete). As well in towing a landscape trailer no problem get up and go now with a bobcat or mini exc. it will need a little bit of a push. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay because im looking for a truck very similar to this.

8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Check under the cab visor for rot. I've seen different trucks with visors on them that caused them to rust out underneath. Had an 86 K10 that this happend to as well.

Other than that rockers and cab corners are not hard to replace and fenders and inner fenders are not expensive on these trucks.

9. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

deal fell through :( decided to upgrade my tractor and spend a whole bunch more $ instead lol. Might build a mini pusher for it, not sure how well it would do though. Gonna be a Kubota B3030 30hp, no cab though.