1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 GMC 1500 Coming out of 4 High when Plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by detailman, Feb 14, 2007.

1. detailman

detailman Junior Member
    from Va

I just bought an 87 GMC 1500 when I am plowing it keeps coming out of 4 high grinds and whines have to stop and do it all over again will work again for a few minutes then it will do it again works fine in 4 low. Plowed for 8 hours straight first trip out started on the way home. Just replaced the hubs didnt fix it but glad to have manual ones anyway. Any ideas would be great. Not trying to spend a bunch of money for an easy fix if possible. Thanks for any help.
  2. snowcan

snowcan Member

Make sure the transfer case shifter linkage is moving freely and lubricated, so that it is locking into 4H properly, otherwise you probably need internal transfer case repair.....
  3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

It sounds to me like you have a bad

shift fork... Transfer case needs to be disassembled to replace high range fork. Not that bad of a repair, do it now before you continue to add zeros to your repair cost total. Worn shift forks are fairly common.