1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'87 Front driveshaft seal replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 400hp408sb, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

I have the "saginaw" type front driveshaft. The rubber/plastic seal that holds in the grease where the shaft slides in and out of itself is bad. No one I know has ever tried replacing one. I was curious if anyone here and ever done this and if they were able to find a replacement seal. Obviously the two parts of the shaft would need to be marked to make sure it went back together the same way since it's balanced. But I'm not sure exactly how it actually comes apart. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the subject. :)

2. tony h

tony h Junior Member

Shock boots

Never tried to rebuild that seal.
    I did have a problem where I was wearing out that Spline pematurely because the Shaft angle would cause water to ride down and in past the seal. I put a Boot over it from a Rancho Shock. Tie wrapped both sides, for $5 bucks It has worked well for me.

3. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

That's actually not a bad idea. I went to the local chevy dealer and special ordered the seal for 12 bucks. They also printed off a parts diagram of the driveshaft for me. There's actually more to the inside of the shaft than I had expected. I think I'm still going to attempt the seal replacement though. If I can't get it, the boot idea is a cheap solution.