1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 fr 250 running hot with plow on

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by raptorej, Jan 16, 2005.

1. raptorej

raptorej Junior Member

dose any one know if i put a ram air hood on if it would help wit the heat problem as i am driving

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Ram air adds air to the intake, not air through the radiator...so no.

Make sure you have a good radiator, thermostat and drive with the plow a little low to allow airflow.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Drive with the plow down as low as possible angled to the right. This comes right out of an 80's Myer install guide (for Ford). Try different positions.
    You may need a new fan clutch, the fan should be "roaring" when it's hot.
    To test it, the book says to block the radiator (Grill side) with a piece of card board turn heater off and listen for the fan to engage,just don't let it over heat real bad.
    The fan blades may be tried too,mine were so rusted I was afraid one would fly off some day. Belt/belts may need replaced or adjusted.
    If all else fails engage emergency cooling---> Heat set to vent and blower on high.
    If it starts to run hot plowing, I pop the hood and let the safety catch hold it from coming open for more air flow.