1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'87 F150 4X4 with plow in nice shape in Michigan

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by snowblowertruck, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

My wife has this plow truck that she had to buy because she didn't want any of my "hand me downs." She bought this truck almost four years ago and has plowed with it less than a dozen times. I figure if I've got to plow then I'm going to use my truck. The information that I give is accurate to the best of my knowledge. It is an '87 F150 with 21,136 miles (5 digit odometer), 4 wheel drive, auto trans (aeod4???), xlt package, with a nice body (extremely nice for it's year), hard top bed cover (not installed but is in the bed). We have had a few repairs done to it over the almost 4 years of ownership..... new brake lines, replaced the exhaust at the "Y" just in front of the cat, new plugs, rotor, cap, wires, ecm and ignition mod. Oh and the front gas tank with fuel pump/sending unit assy. I just got done plowing our drive with it and the truck runs very strong, and gets around very well with it's almost new tires. The only thing I don't like.....other than the truck doesn't have the powerstroke or a V blade is the fact that the transmission doesn't shift properly. IT DOES SHIFT AND IT DOESN'T SLIP!!! But it doesn't shift properly. If you drive it down the road with a heavy foot it does shift, but the RPM's are higher than they are supposed to be. If my memory serves me correctly, this happened a year or so ago and once we started putting the miles on it, it corrected itself. I'm not sure who made the plow. It looks like an old western blade with aftermarket hydro setup. But it works good as well. This truck is over 20 years old and could use some tlc but is dependable just the way it is. My wife has set a $3000 OBO price on it. You can call with any questions at (989) 382-9148. Troy or Carrie.

carries truck 001.JPG

carries truck 002.JPG

carries truck 003.JPG

2. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

what motor does the truck have?
    can you post pics of the hydro setup?
    pics of the engine compartment?

Thanks,
    Ed

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

look great and is that 302 5.0L

4. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Yes it is a 302, and I will try to post pics of the engine compartment and hydro setup tomorrow morning.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

and please frame pic we want see how bad rust on frame.

6. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Ok, so I've got the pictures.... now I just need to figure out how to get them downloaded to this thread.

7. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Test run on downloading pics

carries truck 004.JPG

carries truck 005.JPG

carries truck 006.JPG

8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

That year would have the AOD transmission and a TV cable that controls the shifts. The TV cable has to be adjusted properly or you'll risk damaging the transmission.

Here's a video on how to adjust it-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

9. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I'll see about trying to adjust the cable.

10. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Well, I did the adjustment and it made the shift problem worse. It's 6 degrees outside right now, so I think I'll wait to mess with it more when it's a little warmer out.

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The plow was made by Polar. It was basically Western steel with a Monarch pump.

Are you interested in selling the plow without the truck?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

She'd rather not, She really doesn't want the truck. We have about six trucks that need to find new homes already (trying to clead up the backyard).

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Send me a PM if she changes her mind.

14. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Ok Crash, if she changes her mind I will let you know. I've got the truck listed on several different sites and it is currently in the shop having the trans checked out. That seems to be the big snag on everyone interested in the truck. Although that hasn't stopped the calls from coming in non stop.

15. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I just picked the truck up from the shop and it's shifting again. The cable disconnected from the trans when I tried to do the original adjustment.

16. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

The truck has just been sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.