1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 F-350 dump questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ahoron, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Just got 87 F-350 dump truck for $500. Friend is getting married and just wants it gone. Said it needs a flywheel has a few teeth missing. It has 7.5l I think and manual trans 2 wheel drive. How hard is it to replace the flywheel? Other than that the truck looks good with only a little rust on the doors the dump bed is solid no rot. So I think it's a great deal. Truck has been sitting since october. I'm guessing new battery tune-up and changing flluids. Anything else you would look for? thanks
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If the dump hoist works you got a steal! Even if the truck needed a different engine it would still be worth what you paid for it.
    I would just check all the brake & fuel lines etc... for rust since it was sitting. And change all the fluids etc... maybe give it a tune up but shouldn't need too much
  3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Went to look at it on lunch yesterday. Friend who came with gets out of the truck and says we'll take it without getting within 10 feet of the truck. He said it's worth that much at a scrap yard.
  4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Easy to change the flywheel. Pull the tranny, pull the clutch off, pull the flywheel. Reverse and done
  5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Put a new clutch on right away!
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you do get it and go to fix it.
    Replace all the clutch parts while it's apart. I even go as far as replace the rear main oil seal on the engine. It may not even be the fly wheel that has a problem. Who told him it was missing teeth? It could just be the starter that has a problem. Buy it, you should be able to at least get your money out of it later.