1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 exhaust system

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by garjus, Jun 9, 2004.

1. garjus

garjus Junior Member

I have a question regarding my exhaust system. The pipe between the converter and the muffler broke in half and I am now running off just the converter. Can I cut the pipe in front of the converter and go from there back? Also I would like to find a diagram showing how the exhaust should be. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  2. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Any parts store should have a picture of the exhaust routing. ANd yes you can go straight through bypassing the converter, but this is illegal, and will not pass emissions tests.
  3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

An '87 chevy is fuel injected. bypassing the cat may also bypass the O2 sensor or at least feed it anomalous readings thus freaking out the TBI computer.
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Duals on my 87

When I bought my truck (I'm the 3rd owner). It was without the converter anyway. I just put 2 1/2" dual exhaus with a crossover pipe on. The mufflers are 26" glass packs. Sounds great behind the 454 under the hood. After I run it for a while the check engine light will come on. This started after we put in the new GM Goodwrench motor in. I do think that it is an emmissions issue but have been told by my shop manager that it is nothing to worry about.