1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 chevy keeps stalling

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mhlawn, Aug 31, 2003.

1. mhlawn

mhlawn Junior Member

my 87 chevy will stall when i put it from park to drive or reverse.also will cut out if i sit at a red light to long.or when i move the plow up or down. it seems to stall when i put a load on it.replaced alot of the sensors, still no help.nobody seems to know why it is doing this .i have to sit at the red light with my foot on gas pedal alittle bit. ben through alot of starters.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

What motor and trans do you have in there? Also, what have you replaced so far? I have seen some GM cars over the years that stall as soon as you put them in gear and it was a torque converter problem. We usually just unplugged the switch and it fixed the problem, but then you dont have lockup anymore, but some customers want the cheapest way out. Im not saying this is your problem at all, I never saw this happen on a GM pick up truck, only certain GM cars. Mike

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

More info on the particular vehicle would be nice.

I've never seen the TCC problem on trucks either Mike,only cars.

It could be a number of things.I'd start by checking the basics like fuel pressure,timing,vacuum leaks,etc.

4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Is it fuel injected? maybe it is the battery not holding a charge, or how about the idle too low? Alternator. Fuel pump, filter Good luck sounds like a stinker :nono:

5. sschario

sschario Member

Don't know if it applies, but I had an '87 TBI 350 that drove me nuts doing some of the same things you describe. Ended up a GM wrench found a little known bulletin that mentioned oil climbing up the distributor shaft and soaking the pickup and associated electronics. He actually made the repair, but I believe there were faulty seals to blame.

It fixed mine for good. Good luck.

Steve

6. mhlawn

mhlawn Junior Member

thanks for all the help, havent been on in awhile. its a 350 with i think a 300 turbo trans. i had rebuilt in 2000. but had to put a new torc converter in the next year ,cause the one they put in fell apart.put new gas tank and fuel pump in 2001.throttle position sensor is new. i cant remember all i put in , havent drove in two years. now one of my employees wants to buy it. someone told me to try the esc sensor because it adjust the timming some how.but that is $92.00,so i came on here for help.the motor just quits.it will start right back up. steve what seals did they replace? my truck is throttle body fuel injected.

7. sschario

sschario Member

As I understand, there is a seal or two in the distributor that prevents oil from climbing the shaft. I'm sure Chris could elaborate on this. I never actually saw it apart.

Good luck.

Steve

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your truck would have either a TH400 (3 speed),or a 700R4 (OD).

The distributor problem wasn't actually a seal,but a bushing problem.Top much clearance allowed oil up into the dist base,damaging components.Dist replacement was required.You would see oil in the distributor if you have this problem.

First thing you need to do is check all the basics,like timing,fuel pressure,ect,and make sure the engine is in a good state of tune.If all is OK,then I'd clean the throttle body.Do a search,as I've explained it in detail many times,takes too long to retype.It could be the IAC motor sticking,and the cleaning may fix it.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member