1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87 chevy accellerator question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by geo, May 10, 2003.

1. geo

geo Junior Member

my 1987 chevy 4x4 has a really stiff gas pedal. It seems like there is something wrong with linkage, but I can't find anything obvious. I have been told that they are all this way but I can't hardly believe it! Anybody have any info? Any help would be appreciated! thanks
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is a very simple system.Just the pedal,a cable and the throttle lever\plate.It's most likely just a sticky cable.Disconnect the cable at the throttle body and the pedal,and move the cable by hand,it should have very little resistance.If it feels OK,then check the throttle body and gas pedal for sticking.

It's also possible someone has added a spring(s),to the setup,whuch would make it stiffer.From the factory,they have NO visable return springs.The return spring is part of the throttle body.