1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

87-91 EFI Fords

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by yellow78ford, Mar 19, 2006.

1. yellow78ford

yellow78ford Junior Member

I currently drive a 78 f150 4x4. With a 351m, 4speed, Holley 600, weiand intake, headers, and a mild cam, I am getting a whopping 8-10 mpg. Along with that, I have lovely role up windows, no a/c, and you can hear every bit of road noise. Obviously, I can't knock the truck, it's old, it's VERY strong and reliable, turns some heads since the body on this truck has been restored by the previous owner. For a daily driver though it is just not practical. I was looking into the 87-91 efi f250 trucks. I drove a buddy's 89 f250 lariat 5speed with the 302 and loved it. Had just as much power as my 78, actually more, with a better ride, better mileage, and all the goodies (pw, pdl, a/c, o/d). I really liked it. How are these 87-91 fords? I like the body style (although it still doesn't compare to the lovely 73-79), and from what I hear, the efi 302 and 351 engines are reliable. I will be using the truck for light residential plowing, daily driver, hauling atv/dirtbike trailer, and any other hauling that comes to mind. Opinions?
  2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Well I had a 90 F250 with the 351W auto. The gas mileage was just as bad as your truck, but it had 3.55 gears, which gave it a low tow rating. Maybe 10 aorund town, 6 plowing, and 4 towing. Of course, I had a few trailer loads fo around 9-10K, and it was ssslllooowww, but it pulled it, Also hauled around a ton and a half of sand/stone for a few weeks, and it was even slower. The E4OD tranny got replaced whenI first got it, and I wasn't too impressed with it after the rebuild, but that may have been my friendly AAMCO. I had a 7.5' Western PRo, and it didi ok, just neede them timrens to keep the front end up.

All in all, I liked the truck, and it probably wouldh've made me happier had I not used it above it's talent. I think one with some 4.10s would do nicely. Never had any engine problems, except the quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I beat it up, sold it to a friend, and it's still used daily towing aournd a 5K load.

My opinion, though, is to fidn a power window kit, get some dymamat, and if possible get some a/c conversion. I've always loved that bodystyle.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

302 is very reliable motor ours had well over 200k miles on it before it was out of business. i'm guessing it had 250k miles
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have a lot less problems with EFI engines. If it does need parts most stuff is easy to change.Most parts stores have all the parts you will need if the EFI ever has a problem.
  5. SnowStooge3

SnowStooge3 Junior Member

I have an 88 F-150 4x4 with a 351, 234000 miles on it. The oil preasure drops to about 8 to 12 psi when warmed up ( at idle ). My lifters clatter until it warms up, i get about 8 to 10 mpg. I can still smoke the hell out of the tires. Not bad, if i do say so myself.
  6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Whatever motor you get in one you aren't going to see better than 12mpg (at least in 90%).

EFI parts are easy to get for the 87-96 since ford used Speed density all those years except the last 2 they were switching to MAF. I would get a 351w at least if you are going to work it at all. Also get the stick tranny, 5 speed ZF would be the best, as they will take alot of abuse unlike the auto.
  7. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

i have a 90 f250 with the 351 and the e40d and love it parts are easy to get and they are easy to work on but if you get the e40dtrany put a cooler on it:nod: :gunsfiring:
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have an F-250 (1989) 351 with a C6 - 3 speed auto. The truck is tough as hell,it's been a plow truck it's whole life. It's hauled 1 ton of fire wood at a time and barely even notices it. I bought it for $4,700 5 years ago I can't complain at all !