1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86110LP Wings Broken

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by TuckerDog2, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TuckerDog2

TuckerDog2 Junior Member

I recently purchased a Blizzard 86110LP. Yesterday was my first chance to use it. After only 15 minutes of plowing, I hit a small crack in the cement (didn't even fold the plow over) and my drivers side wing will no longer retract to "Compact" mode. It will come back from "Bucket" mode, and goes in about 3 inches, but then stops.

I continued to use the plow in "Bucket" mode, and today I bumped a curb (very easy! Again, didn't fold over the plow) and now the passenger side wing is doing the same thing. It will only retract about 3 inches. On both sides of the plow there is a significant "dent" in the plow face/board going OUT. The dent is significant enough to have cracked the powder coat finish.

Anybody have an idea what is broken inside? Is this a common problem? This plow has less than 2 hours plowing, and seen pretty gentle use. I am scared to think what it would be like had I really HIT something hard!

Any imput would be appreciated !
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Go clean it off take some pictures and post.

There are lot of places on the wings for them to catch. Your probable best bet is to take the wing out and inspect it.
  3. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Unless it was abuse take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. I'm sure your warranty will come it.
  4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Guessing your molboard is distorted enough that the slidebox move freely.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Had friend had one and he spent more time bending wing edges back out so it would go back togethere He only owned one winter sent down the road
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Here's my advice....Quit hitting sh!t with the wings!
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ya beat me to it :mechanic:
  8. maelawncare

It is also HIGHLY recommended never to hit anything in the scoop mode. If you get near a curb bring them back to straight. You will break more things in no time if you keep them in scoop mode while finishing a run.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Is this a new or used plow?
  10. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

The three most probable causes for the wing only retracting a few inches are:
    - bent wing cutting edge interfering with moldboard
    - cylinder body interfering inside the slidebox
    - bent wing cylinder

NO! This is not a common problem.

See my thread about Power Plow Tips to help you with operation.
  11. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

get pics but very common if it is impacted correctly
  12. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I was going to buy an 8100pp but now i'm having second thoughts if these things don't hold up.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the world of DD model 86110LP plows.

Betcha a pre-DD wouldn't have bent like this, I have hit stuff hard.

Regarding the advice to not hit stuff, almost funny, the guy admitted he hit something as opposed to the others that say they never hit anything and it just quit working.

You all realize that this is basically worthless advice, because if he knew there was an obstacle, he wouldn't have hit it. Unless you guys go hit curbs for the heck of it.

Seriously, don't hit things in scoop mode? What a load of crap that is, that's the whole point of this plow is its efficiency in scoop mode.

Hope you guys are tongue in cheek, because your advice stinks.

Back to the OP, sorry, but this is the result of DD making these plows lighter to fit more platforms, all the while the XLS is heavier. Talk to the dealer, depending on where it is broke, they should help you out, there have been numerous issues with the moldboard at the bottom.
  14. maelawncare

Here we go.

Btw, I completely agree.
  15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Whatever, it is what it is. You can't hit things with the wings out. I don't know what else to say, I feel bad this happened to him, but hopefully they will fix it for free.
  16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

As WizPens says below, it is what it is. lol

BS, I have several pre-DD Blizzards 810-8611's and have hit all kinds of crap with wings extended. I've had to replace some slide boxes, have wings straightened and even an a-frame or 2. I have a LoPro that has had a bent wing or slide box for over a season and a half now that still goes in and out fully, someday I'll fix it.

But to say you can't hit anything with the wings out is beyond ridiculous, might as well go back to straight blades then.

The fact is, that since DD weakened the power plows with the exception of the standard 8611, they have had serious issues.
  17. TuckerDog2

TuckerDog2 Junior Member

I understand not to hit stuff, but what I hit was VERY light! I am a car dealer. I buy two new plows every year as a tax deduction. I have people standing in line for my 1 year old used plows, as they are in such great shape. I only plow my home driveway, and my dealership. I pretty much know where all my obstacles are.
    This plow was brand new! On my second pass at my home driveway I could a crack in my concrete with the left wing. It was extended in scoop mode. I was barely moving forward, as I knew about where the crack was. The wing nor the blade folded over. It was a light hit! I immediately tried to move the wing in, but it would not go back. The plow face now has a dent going OUT on the face. The dent is significant enough to crack the powder coating. I called my local dealer, since I wanted inform him that in happened RIGHT away, and maybe there was a problem. He said to continue to use it, and bring it in for repair after the storm.. I used the plow in scoop mode the rest of the day.
    The very next morning while doing some final clean up, I brushed a curb with the passenger side wing. I immediately tried to bring that wing in, and discovered it would not retract either. Now this time I know I hit something VERY lightly! I knew the curb was there, and barely brushed it! Again, the same outward dent in the plow face, at about the same spot.
    I have looked at Blizzard's website and seen the video of the Power Plow hitting something and retacting. The two times I hit something were MUCH LESS significant that what they depict in the video.
    My concern was that if these are the issues I can expect for this plow I should get ride of it now while the powder coating is still drying! I just wanted a feel from others here on the forum as to related problems with these plows. This plow was BRAND NEW this year, so I assume it is a DD manufactured unit. Thaks for everybody's imput!
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

For all the DD haters, I'm right with you, but the boards/wings/boxes/edges are the same. Nothing from in front of the quadrant has changed. I have some of each. The new ones are garbage, but not b/c of the wings. I have a new LP that's ripped completely in half at the a frame, but the board is fine.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Wrong, where the cutting edge attaches to the moldboard, it went from a box to a piece of angle. This has greatly weakened that part of the plow.

I can't say for the rest, but I'm sure there was plenty of areas that are using lighter steel allowing weight reduction.
  20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You are correct there. I'd put my money on the wing is getting caught on that small vertical lip on the slide box. It happened on the old ones as well especially if the jigs for the wings weren't set up right and the stops are off a bit. Doubt it's anything major.