1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8611 works intermittenly

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Mustang, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

I have a 2007 F550 with a 8611 and a console style controller that straps to the seat. The last couple of storms the plow would occasionally stop responding the to movement of the joystick. If I played with it a bit it would start working again. I figured it is a loose wire/connection issue. This last storm it totally stopped working. I parked it and switched trucks. A couple of hours later I went back to the truck and it was working perfectly. I still suspect a wiring issue but I do find it odd that I couldn't get it to respond at all even after playing with the wires and then it started working fine after sitting for a couple of hours. Any other suggestions other than wiring?
  2. BDT

BDT Junior Member

Sounds like either truck or plow side power harness. There is a break somewhere making intermittent connection.
  3. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Had another storm yesterday. Plow worked fine for about 2 hours then stopped responding. Interestingly, the wings still worked. Up, down, left and right did not work at all. Let it sit for a few hours and then worked fine again. I hate these intermittent issues. If it's going to break let it be broken. None of this sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have you checked the plug John?

First of all, check to make sure it is tight, very tight. We've resorted to using zip ties on some trucks.

Second, check all the pins and contacts for corrosion.

Third is the truck and plow side wiring, although it sounds more like either corrosion or loose connections.

Last, maybe the contacts in the controller are getting worn?

Good luck and I hope all is well.
  5. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Hey Mark, I've only been able to do a visual inspection of the plug so far. By the time I get back to my yard it has been working again. I guess I will have to bring a test light with me on our next run. Nothing like diagnosing a problem with a test light in the middle of snow and rain. :realmad: I was also considering the controller. Will have to switch it out next time.

Things are well here. Hope you can say the same.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Check the plug, even a quarter or half inch will cause them to act up.

Especially if you're going night after night and not able to park inside.

Clean and dry it out good. Fluid Film the crap out of both ends. Then zip tie it together in an X pattern.
  7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've had issues with the plug on the plowside under the cover getting a small bit of corrosion inside causing it to intermittently act up. Cleaned it out packed with dielectric has been fine since. On my 06 I usually zip tie the main plug like mark said.
  8. dubajp01

dubajp01 Junior Member

I had the same issue on my 8100 PP. It turned out to be the toggle switches on the plow. I had to replace both of them. I haven't had a problem since. I hope you figure it out.
  9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just replaced a plow side harness for the same problem
  10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Many times its the main plug. I have to occasionaly spread the male pins for the pos & neg . Fixes it everytime.
  11. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Mark, when you say to use the fluid film, are you meaning on the exterior of the main plug after zip ties? Or inside, instead of di-electric grease?
  12. Mark Oomkes

I use it on the inside. I have had pins corrode off using di-electric grease.

IMO, they need to be cleaned out and resprayed with FF regularly, in addition to the zip ties.

The di-electric can make it hard to get the ends together because of the suction.
  13. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Thanks Mark, another good trick to keep in the file Thumbs Up
  14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Fluid film all the way, doesn't get as stiff in the cold like dielectric grease. Do your light plugs, and light adapters as well.
  15. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I am having same problem with my 8611pp. My biggest fear was what do you do if the plow don't lift, well guess what it happened last night. Everything on plow works but the plow won't go up. Also the plow mount won't even move either so my truck is sitting at one of my commercial properties. When I hit the plow to raise, the plow is working but the plows not going up. All i did was push up a snow bank and after that it stopped working.
  16. Mark Oomkes

PH1 or PH2?

Did you try the power hitch if it has one?

Also, on PH1's, the wire harness must be behind the light bar, not between the light bar and plow.
  17. PALS Landscapin

PH1 and the power hitch isn't working either.
  18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if your plow is similar to my 2007 8611LP, but what happened to mine one time was the draw latch pin disappeared and the that little latch came down and would not allow the plow to raise. It's a latch that is used when mounting the plow. I now have it permanently bolted in the up position. Sorry if I'm not being clear, and if it's not something that's even on your plow. Just a thought.

EDIT: That was for PALS.
  19. Mark Oomkes

That latch was a stupid and worthless addition to Blizzards.

I never used it once and I still don't understand what it's purpose is.
  20. PALS Landscapin

Ha I have the latch and it was in the up position and that wasn't the problem. I must say that I do love the plow due to the time savings but I am am western guy and the western plows are always flawless compared to the Blizzards.