1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8611 problem

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by JD PLOWER, Nov 12, 2009.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Our 8611 (old style) is having a problem lowering. The motor runs fine and all other functions work well but it won't disengage from the truck. It was working periodically but stopped completely today and will not lower at all. I was doing some reading on this and similar problems and the solution seems to be the coils (S5 S8).

My questions are..

Can I use my coils from my 810 to at least temporarily fix the plow before buying coils and finding out its not the problem?

Do the wires attached to the coils need to be cut or do they pop off the coil it self?

Thanks in advance.

2. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Does the float light come on when you toggle and hold it to full lower? I would have to say one of two things.

1) Switch out the dieode (that can cross over from 8611 to 810.

2) check the Float coil.

I do think the coil is the same part the pins (valves) change. You have to CUT the wire for the ground the + end is a pin connector and you have use a specail tool to remove/replace that pin. At least that is what Eric does I am sure their might be another way.

Also you might be able to inspect the coil for blistering. That is a sign of overheating. This happen often when the plow controller is left on and the plow is lowered and parked but NOT in float. Ask me how I know....

Hope that works.

Ron G

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Holy crap!!! A productive post from Ron!!! Mark this day in history!!! :eek:

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Ron. Yes the float does work on the control box. I did think there was "special tool" for this but was hoping not to have to get in to that.
    Hope that works.

5. 4evergreenlawns

Not an expensive tool. Looks like a dental pick. You might be able to use something else. It is the pin at the plug side of all the coils. The ground side all goes to that same bolt.

Ron G.

6. 4evergreenlawns

Goes to show you even how little you think you know about me. It is just sad.

At any rate Thanks for the back handed comment.

Best, Ron G.

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Your welcome Ron! :waving: Still in shock...

JD, I had an older 810 (I believe it's an '01, old 4-hose model) get stuck up last year, turned out the wire for the float coil had a bad connection due to corrosion. I've also heard of problems with a diode on the plow that would cause this, but I'm not sure enough on where it is...

8. 4evergreenlawns

JD,

How did things turn out.

Ron G