1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8611 on an '06 F-350

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by rtm038, Mar 3, 2007.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    I know the 8611s are really heavy, but has anyone ever put one on a 2005-present F-350 pick-up?

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I would definitely not:nono: :eek: I Have one on my 2000 450 and its one heavy plow:eek:

3. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I have 2 8611LP on 2004 Ford F350's no problems on the truck end,

4. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, I've looked into the 8611LP, but I really like the regular 8611's taller moldboard when compared to the 810/8611LP. In the end, if I bought another Blizzard, I'd definitely go with 8611LP, just thought I'd ask about the regular 8611. However, I'll probably wait to see what changes DD makes to the Blizzard line. Hopefully they'll come out with a light tower that stays with plow; a compact joystick or handheld control and improved electrical plugs that are a little easier to connect. Only time will tell.....:)

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I would wonder if the taller mold-board on the 8611 would even be too much for a 1 ton???? Not from a weight issue, but that is a lot of snow to push around. I would guess the traction would give out first???

6. jhoser_2000

jhoser_2000 Junior Member

one of the guys that i plow with has one on his 05 f350 but he needs like a 1000 lbs of ballast in the back of the truck but it does hold it up and takes the punishment well, and he beats the he!! out of his truck.

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I figured you'd need about that much ballast to offset the weight on the front axle.

8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

You guys are just going to tear up the front ends on those trucks. Ya they will take the weight but your going to end up replacing everything on the front end after a good long year or two of plowing. Poor Trucks.

9. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was thinking too! I know that the SD's are tough and that is why I drive one,but putting an standard 8611 on a pickup is crazy. It would be the same a hanging two 8' pro plows on one truck. They look big enough on a 5yd. dump. If some one does this I want to see pic's !!!

10. jhoser_2000

jhoser_2000 Junior Member

i will try to get some pics of the poor f350 with the plow on it

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

People have to keep the sizes & weights of these plows (and the amount of snow you're trying to push) reasonable for the truck. Will it carry a 8611 fine? Sure, but it has to function without major problems for 5 years.

12. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

blizzard says that a 8611lp will fit on my single wheel 07 f350 acording to their plow match for my truck? it only ways about a 100lbs more than a 810. i'd deffenetly get one.

13. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

go with the lp

I wolud go with the lighter lp. It's only 3" , but that never bothered your wife:jester: :dizzy: :realmad: LOL just kidding. No really, the school district I worked for always had the front end torn apart from the weight of the plow. I don't even know where a blizzard dealer is around here so I'm scared to ask, but what does one of these giants cost?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  14. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

A friend of mine has a 8611 on a 06' 250, but he put 13000 # springs in the front, and now the plow lifts with no front end sag.

15. GFX

GFX Member

I call BS! Can you please find out where your buddy bought 13000# springs for a F-250.:confused: :confused:

16. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe it's a typo. I've never heard of someone getting 13000 lb front springs for any pick-up.

17. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

He claims thats what they are. They came from Brute Spring in Buffalo NY, Including the main there are nine leafs on each side. I think that the springs maybe 6500# and he just misunder stood that you don't double the rating because they are a left and right. I will find out. All I know is the truck does not drop at all when he lifts the 8611 up, the tires give a bit but thats it. I will admit I dont know anything about springs.

18. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

06's should have coils and not leafs? You can get 6500lbs springs for the 05 and up Fords but even still I would not put that much weight on a F250. The brakes on my 02 F550 are much bigger than the my 05 F350 and while the 350 will pickup the 8611, I would not drive more than a few feet with it attached. Really unsafe.

19. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

it wouldn't bother me a bit to put a 8611lp on my truck. its almost exactly that same weight as a 9.6 xtreme v plow and no body complains about them. the 8611 (tall one) is a little heavy in my opinion.

20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone talks about the weight of a plow, and that's all well & good, but how about giving some thought to the snow load in front of an 11' blade. If your answer is to only take a portion of the blade width, then the whole point of an 8611 is lost. I go back to what I said before: CAN it do it, sure. But what are you doing to the truck in the process? And you know someone with an 8611 isnt doing all driveways, so we're not talking about light use.