1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8611 on 1 ton truck

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jkaky, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jkaky

jkaky Junior Member
    from Indiana

Is anyone running an 8611 on a one ton truck? I have an older 810 on an '06 F350 and have thought about upgrading to a newer model with one cylinder on each slide box. Thanks for the advice.
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I was just asking about this on the other site. I have a 450 with an 8611 and want to buy a 08 F 350 and put it on there. I think it will hold it fine. The Ford trucks handle the plows easy enough.
  3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I run 2 8611lp on 1ton chevys with no problem. The reg 8611 weighs around 1500lbs, too much for the front of a 1ton. I was looking at upfitting a kodiak 5500 with an 8611 and a reputable dealer said the lp would be fine even on the larger truck.
  4. pjw

pjw Junior Member

Joe D, How do you like that 8611 ? Any problems with the 450 doing the job?? Thats a big plow, I am looking at a Sterling bullet 5500 and using a reg. 8611.
  5. jkaky

jkaky Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info. I think I will try to find an 8611lp after the season. Maybe some dealer will have a close-out deal on one.
  6. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I run a LP on my 3500Ram DRW. Absolute love it. Just need to have a little ballast in it. I have my insert so that works great. I also have an extra LP that I run on my 6500 as a backup. used to be a 8611 but I wanted to be able to put both plows on both trucks.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The 450 does excellent with it. It's heavy on the front of it but it doesn't sag much at all. No timbrens or anything done to it.it also pushes it very easy even with a full blade of snow. I have nice Michellin tires and 2500lbs of sand on the back. That and a 12' flat deck with a power lift gate.
    My thinking is the 08 Ford 350 has a 6000lb front axle rating just like the 450 has.
  8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

jkaky, where are you in IN?
  9. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i would say get a 8611LP and you will be fine. No sense of putting a extra 400-500 pounds on the front when you dont have too. I have a LP on a 3500 ram dually, no timbrens or anything and it handles the plow like a champ. And when I put ballast in the back look out because this tank is going to push just about anything, and in 2wd.
  10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The 450 has a much bigger front axle than the 350. I have a 2008 F450 with the 8611 on it and I think the 450 is the minimum size truck for a 8611 fullsize.
  11. jkaky

jkaky Junior Member
    from Indiana

fastjohnny- northside of indy
  12. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Whats the front GVWR and a F450?
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be checking your dealer's reputation. The LP will fold like a pretzel on a 5500, unmodified.

I would go with nothing less than a standard 8611 on anything 450 and up.

You could do it on a 350, but I don't know that I would. I've transported one on my 350 several times and it handles it fine, but for day in and day out, I'd be a little concerned.
  14. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I agree,, being a dealer lp tooooooo small for the 5500 go full size 8611 the lp would work okay on the 350
  15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

This is the frustrating thing about getting peoples opinions. I was told by Tony Sanchez ltd in NJ that putting an lp on a chevy 5500 would be fine. I was also told by a blizzard rep this past fall at a snow show up in MA that the hitch system on the reg 8611 wasn't holding up in the long run.
    Also, I don't think an lp would fold like a pretzel on a 550. Its still a well built plow that weighs nearly 1100lbs..
  16. Mark Oomkes

FWIW, mine is not an opinion, it is fact. I have 2 standard 8611's, 3 8611 LP's, an 810SS and a 810 truck mount.

8611's are on 550's, have been for several years. Have had 2 or 3 slide boxes and wings repaired or replaced on these 2.

8611 LP's are on 350 pickups, no spreaders and have replaced\repaired at least 6 wings AND slide boxes. Put one of these on a 5500 and you WILL destroy it, unless you never go over 5 MPH.

We have had some issues with the draw latch on the 8611, Jerre has a fix for this problem. Easy fix when they do break, but I hope to eliminate this issue.

Jerre--actually Tom--has come up with a fix for the wings and slide boxes on the LP's and so far they are holding up very, very well. I had 2 done this year and not a problem as of yet, and we're at 93" of snow. One has urethane wings\steel center, mine has Xtendors\steel center. Both have taken some hard hits that would have required major repairs or replacements without the mods.

Nothing on the 810 SS--which is on it's second season--and I just got the 810, so we'll see about that, but I have heard of very few issues with the 810.

So you're right, opinions can suck, but when my opinion comes from actual experience, pretty sure it's no longer an opinion.
  17. damian

damian Senior Member

I would never install 8611 on a one ton, even f550's require beefing up to keep plow latch plates and lift piston rod from dragging and wearing through ,best application ive seen for 8611 is low pro gmc5500
  18. Mark Oomkes

Must be you've only seen 8611's on GM products. None of my Ford's--350 through 550's need beefing up to keep latch plats and lift cylinders from dragging. :rolleyes:
  19. damian

damian Senior Member

I have had dragging problems,latch plate and lift cyl problems and countless alternator problems(unless i upgrade to american armature 250a alternators at $600 a whack) with 6 separate 450 and 550 8611 aplications.nice plow-too heavy.
  20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The only issues I have with draging is steep entrances on driveways or parking lots, or if you plow over a tall parking curb.
    I had these same issues with the 810 on the same truck and even the same 810 on my GM. The push beams all set at the same height so they will all catch on the same thing. My GM had timbrens so it didn't sag at all and my Ford has nothing done to it but it only sags around 1" when I lift the plow.