1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8611 LP-crashed, bent, and lived!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by earnies2, Dec 23, 2005.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

plowing at 15 mph on a road i caught a rut that was at the exact angle of my plow! the road was ice covered under the snow and before i could react the truck slide to the right and slammed into a granite curb the right wing re-tracked into the blade and i found my self on the passenger side of the truck when i picked my self up shook off the cobweb's :dizzy: i realized my plow lights where moved to the left. my right plow light was almost in the center of my hood! i thought it was all done!:cry: I got out and looked with the exception of a tweaked wing edge the only things that Was bent were the 2 side plates the passenger side was wrapped around the spring! i limped it to the shop chained the driver side frame to a fork-lift chained the passenger side plow frame to the loader heated both side plates and pulled her straight. i honestly believe that if this was any other brand of plow the parts would still be laying all over the road! I've been plowing snow since 1979 and i've hit my fair share of things i have never hit any thing with this amount of force before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ThANK YOU BLIZZARD for building one tuff plow:gunsfiring: :eek:

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I think your next stop should be to the frame shop. 99.9% probability you also bent the truck frame!

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Yup I'm with him. I work at a collision center and you'd be surpised what little impact will bend a frame. I'd take it to a shop with a frame stratening system and have them put it on the rack, they'll know in a few minutes if it's bent or not with the sensors, and can pull it to make it right. At 15 miles an hour, and plow not giving, I'm betting your frame is tweaked.

4. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I would brobbaly agree with you but the truck runs down the road straight and my steeringwheel is straight and all my body lines are ok i think the plow frame took the hit for the truck!!!!!!:gunsfiring: :eek:

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Those side impacts where the plow is at full angle are the worst. I have had two of my trucks get bent frames. My 76 chevy with Boss straight blade I hit a Hydrant while pushing a snow berm back. Plow was at full angle and couldnt trip, plow came away with zero damage. Truck not so lucky. It pushed one frame rail back and up over 3/4 of an inch. Second truck 96 F250 with Boss 9.2 , hit curb ,bent the hell out of the plow wing, mount on one side and truck frame pushed up 1 inch on one side.
    In both cases the trucks drove fine afterwards. I plow for a body shop and they fixed both trucks for me. Ford was a 1 hour fix on the frame machine, cost $75. Chevy was a 3 hour job, cost $75.

6. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i hit a car going 20-25mph and my plow looks fine but it is tweaked a little. frame on the truck looks ok but i dont know if i was looking for any thing special that would be easy to tell if its messed or not. the plow a frame it twisted slightly and the left wing where the car hit has a small dent in it from getting pushed into the plow. other than that, holy crap, these plows can take a beating.

7. BDB

BDB Senior Member

So where are the pictures of this mess??? I guy I plow with just had his 810 straightened on a rack. It is mint now...the cutting edges were wearing funny. And those are not cheap!!!

8. drplow

drplow Senior Member

sounds like its not a 100%. that plow is messed.
    the other persons insurance is going to make my plow 100%. or i will give them hell. one year old plow and im not going to dick around with uneven anything. im so freaking sick of insurance companys. my honda pilot was hit twice this year. once when a plow ran into the back of it when i was going through the bank drive thru, and it was a week after i bought it. and another time when an old lady drove into the side of it. she was pulling out of a parking lot and thought she could push me out of the way like i wasn't even there. i had to deal with estimates and repairs and rentals. lots of crap and its all a waste of time. insurance companys blow, they tried to nickle and dime me the whole way.

9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

got an estimate on the plow. anything that might have been wrong was getting replaced. total cost, $2000. and tax. being only one year old, i think that this is close to being totaled. the mount and light rack are ok, and all the stuff in the truck. i paid around 5g for the plow. minus that stuff and installation, how much does this plow cost with just the main plow that comes off the truck?