1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8610pp help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by PALS Landscapin, Nov 20, 2014.

1. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I have a 861pp and the issue I am having is the plow works back/forth wings work but the issue is when I lift the plow up it doesn't stay up. The plow starts to drop. I was wondering if it can be a solenoid. All fluids are fine.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

PH1 or PH2?

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Sounds like a valve issue. Could be debris in the system and caught up in your lift valve. Figure out which one it is and clean it thoroughly. May be a spec of metal, cylinder leather, or packing material causing the issue, could also be a bad valve. Clean first. Remember your hydro valves are not holding anything up until under snow load and you may have an issue there as well but don't realize it. Solenoid runs the electric motor and should not have anything to do with this issue. Been down this road with other electric hydraulic plows.

4. PALS Landscapin

I took all the valves out and they dont seem to be caught up due to me moving them with a small screw driver. The only reason why I think its a solenoid is it has power to it but when I try and drop it, it loses power and valve dont move.

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Solenoid is a pretty cheap part. Put in a new one. If that doesn't fix it you have a spare which is a good idea anyway.

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

What is correct model of plow you have?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It won't fix it, solenoid has nothing to do with it. And is it ph1 or 2. You never answered

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Sounds to me like your pump needs to be rebuilt. Most notably the lift ram packing..

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

Please stop just throwing ideas out there. None of you have attempted to diagnose this issue. We need to have some basic information first. Then we can direct you to the most likely issues and help you diagnose them.
    Herm : I don't know what piece you are really referring to when you say "solenoid" but coils and motor relays (solenoids) are easy to test before replacing. A coil will magnetize when energized and a motor solenoid would have nothing to do with this problem.
    PALS : What plow are you working on?

10. PALS Landscapin

PH1 sorry guys.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Drop speed control?

If you have it too slow, it won’t drop, is that true for the flip side?

12. bliz&hinikerDLR

If plow 2005 or newer:
    Test number 1: set the plow down and turn the flow control knob all the way in clockwise. Be sure the knob bottoms out and does not just hit the jam nut. Then raise the plow. Does the plow stay up? If yes. The problem is at the s5 float valve. If no. The problem is within the lift cylinder or you have oil spraying on the floor.

13. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. PALS Landscapin

Bliz i did that and it did stay up. I am going to change out the s5 valve. I wasn't sure if it was the s5 valve or s8.

15. bliz&hinikerDLR

Now open the flow control valve so the plow again drops after raising.

S8 only effects the rod side of the cylinder. The base end of the lift cylinder would still hold the plow up even if the S8 valve was stuck in the shifted position. So we can eliminate it as a cause.

Confirm that you do not have power/magnetism at the s5 coil before replacing the valve as a short in the harness would appear with the same symptom. To confirm, simply remove the coil and raise the plow. If the plow stays up, you have an electrical problem. If the plow still drops then you have confirmed the valve to be faulty.

16. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I picked up a new tool to disassemble valves at menards the other day. Couldn't beat the price, it was free after rebate. :mechanic:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2427441-c-9157.htm

I'd recommend disassemble and cleaning of the valve before replacement.

17. bliz&hinikerDLR

So will the cams on that grab the smooth part of the valve? I just wrap the smooth part in some rubber and put in the vise. How do you disassemble?

18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I have a set of stud pullers that work excellent for this. This crescent wrench is the same principle and since it was free I figured I would try it.

19. PALS Landscapin

All fixed guys thank you all for the help. The valve was the issue.