1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860sw

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Buddhaman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I am looking at picking up a 860SW. I currently have an 810PP on a 1994 Ford F250 and an 8611LP on a 2003 Ford F250. I would have the 860SW installed on a Dodge 2500 pickup. What I would like to know is can I control the speedwing with any of the trucks? Can I control the power plow with the speedwing control minus the wings? Would like to be able to hook up to any plow on any truck in case of any kind of breakdowns? Thanks in advance for any input.

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I know for a fact that they will hook up. Being able to operate I'm not posative but pretty sure you will be able to. Someone to ask would be Magnatrac or Jerre Search there name and send them a pm. Jerre Installs tons of Blizzards he would know for sure.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I just asked this question to my dealer about the straight blade vs the 810 I have now.

He said yes they hook up and work. All you have to do is unhook the two plugs in the truck from the wiring harness to the controller, and plug the other controller in. Basically just keep the controller with the blade.

He said all the pins are there in the plugs and wiring harness, just that some of them arn't used when not needed with a specific plow.

This is from a 2007 810pp to a 2007 8'6HD straight. I dont know how many yrs back the wiring harness is the same or if it has ever changed.

4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer dropped my 860sw. off in my driveway when it was new ( he lives by me and saved me a trip) My wiring/mount had been installed but the plow itself took a few days to show up. He runs an 810 and used his truck to deliver my plow with his controler. My plow messed up the first time I used it and they were going to give me an 810 to get me through untill my plow was fixed. They told me my controller would run it, obviously no wings. I was told that the harness was the same. If I had an 810 controller my truck would run it. So to answer your question there should be no problems switching plows as I understand it. Good Luck, shaun

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Let me know what you pick up the 860sw for, I am considering a blizzard and will be picking up a plow this week.

Either a blizzard 860sw or boss 8.2 V.

6. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I was quoted between $4000 - $4500 installed for thw 860SW

7. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So how disappointed would I be with an 860SW after using an 810 PP.? We have one 810, but with the 860sw being almost 2k cheaper, Im tempted to buy that as the second plow instead of another 810. Anybody have both, and have any thoughts?

8. firelwn82

Magnatrac has had both. You should send him a pm and ask.

9. magnatrac

If my truck and plow were wercked I would buy the 860s.w. over the 810 hands down. It is so simple how it works that I can't beleive it wasn't invented before the power plow! I have posted all of the resons I like it here before. If you can get past the fact that you need to get out of the truck to make a 10' straight blade your sold. It does everything else that the 810 does. Actually after you get out of your truck to pin the wings back it's better becasue they won't just fold forward when you are pulling back a load of snow. I had to replace more than one spring in my 810 and haven't had to touch the s.w.!!! 1/2'' cuting edges and 138 lbs. less on the front of your truck was enough to sell me !!! For basic plowing on streets, parking lots,etc it's so easy to run. Don't get me wrong I liked my toggle switch shoe box for the 810 ,but it's nice to angle the other way and have the wings do all of the adjusting on their own.:D It's not for everyone but imo. they are great plows !!! I think they should make a 860 s.w. SS ,then basic auxillary hydros would run it w/o an extra controller. Just my $.02
    Good luck , Shaun

10. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the reply. Thats the only thing Im worried about, a few of our accounts require some back dragging to clean out parking spaces, etc. and Im worried that I would constantly be out of the truck pinning back the wings.

11. magnatrac

I use mine in condos so I usually pin back and hit all of the drives. Then I clean up my mess. I did it the same way with the 810 so it really was no big deal to me. I do plow streets and small commercial lots too. I use it to back blade alot w/o the wings locked. It does a good job still, but you are about 12'' from the curb/building. It is not a big deal in my applications so it works for me. When I am by a building I have it shoveled back a few feet anyways. For 2k less I don't see how you can go wrong!!!
    Good Luck , Shaun

12. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Jerre usually has 760/860 sw ss around. I have been thinking about 1 for the toolcat

13. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So is the 860SW 8.5 ft with the wings pinned back, or in scoop? It doesnt go to the full 10ft like an 810 does it?

14. firelwn82

It's 8'6" in scoop and 10' in straight. It's basically the 810 without the mechanicals.

15. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the response, I was under the idea it was only 8-6 in straight. Sounds like a great plow, Ill check further into it.

16. magnatrac

The 860sw is actually 8'-7'' in the scoop positon while the 810 is 9'-3'' ( don't quote me). In the wide open positon it's 9'-9'' and the 810 is a given at 10' . It's a little smaller ,but too close to really make a noticeable difference imo. Again good luck , shaun

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008